PDA

View Full Version : High TDS Reading Any help is appreciated

Mark 75g
05/02/2012, 11:21 AM
I have a spectra pure 150gpd system. The built in tds meter is reading 18ppm. I have a hand held meter that is also reading around 18 to 20 ppm. I store the water in a 45 gallon brute trash can. I decided to check the water in it and I keep getting reading of 100ppm up to 110ppm. Not sure what is going on.

Has anyone noticed this before with your system.

I have had a break out of some hair algea and bubble algea in the last couple weeks and wondering if it attributed to the high tds reading from my top of water.

TriGa22
05/02/2012, 11:23 AM
How old are the filters and membranes? Was there something in the trash can other than water that would be causing the tds to read so high?

sirreal63
05/02/2012, 11:30 AM
The tds reading in the water container is no surprise, unless it is sealed from air, it will begin to collect whatever is in the air and that will effect the tds reading. Dust, pollen, bacteria etc all will find their way into the storage container. That is nothing to worry about, as long as you are getting zero tds out of the ro/di unit, you have removed the contaminants that you need to be concerned with.

Saltwatercoral2
05/02/2012, 11:59 AM
This was happening to me the other day. I have a brute trashcan, and It had a sky high TDS reading in the 400, but when I checked the water straight out of the Ro.di unit it was .oo1.

drummereef
05/02/2012, 11:59 AM
Is the 18 TDS before or after your DI stage? Regardless, the unit should be pulling 0 TDS after your DI stage if it's functioning properly and the resin isn't exhausted. 18 sounds more like what's coming off your RO.

ek9vboi
05/02/2012, 01:21 PM
The tds reading in the water container is no surprise, unless it is sealed from air, it will begin to collect whatever is in the air and that will effect the tds reading. Dust, pollen, bacteria etc all will find their way into the storage container. That is nothing to worry about, as long as you are getting zero tds out of the ro/di unit, you have removed the contaminants that you need to be concerned with.

Good info, I'll have to go back and make sure to seal my container. I get 0 TDS out of the DI but from the container I'm pulling 1-2 on the TDS.

Mark 75g
05/02/2012, 04:21 PM
The 18 is coming out of the di. I have new filters on the way. I checked couple weeks ago and I was at 3. My corals started to look less colorful and not as much pe. Not sure if the 18 tds can cause this to sps but then I saw the 100 in the storage. Also i have an outbreak of bubble algae in last couple weeks
Thanks for the help.

sirreal63
05/02/2012, 04:23 PM
It could be an issue, it depends on what that 18 tds is comprised of.