PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate baffles?

BamBam17
05/02/2012, 08:56 PM
Any reason I can't use polycarbonate baffles in my DIY sump, it's an acrylic tank? I have a piece laying around from a previous non-aquarium project and thought I could use instead of buying a new acrylic sheet...

BamBam17
05/03/2012, 10:11 AM
Bump...I know it is stronger but will it bond properly? Use silicone adhesive?

bmiller1234
05/03/2012, 11:54 AM
No. You can't use polycarbonate

CliftonArbogast
05/03/2012, 12:11 PM
Polycarbonate will bond with same solvent they use for Acrylic. Not sure how well they will bond with each other, you can always do a test strip. I agree with BMiller, Silicone will not work with acrylic ( does not bond so it does not matte what your attaching to acrylic)

bmiller1234
05/03/2012, 12:15 PM
Bonding has no relevance. You can't submerge polycarbonate as it will absorb water and expand and either break itself or the acrylic tank it's in.

Acrylics
05/03/2012, 04:37 PM
Any reason I can't use polycarbonate baffles in my DIY sump, it's an acrylic tank? I have a piece laying around from a previous non-aquarium project and thought I could use instead of buying a new acrylic sheet...No, there's no reason you can't use it. Even with silicone - it'll be fine. Best way is to silicone a narrow (1/2" - 1") strip on both sides of it to make sure. Cut the piece of polycarb about 3/16" smaller than the inside dimension of the sump and go to town.

The best silicone you can use for this would be Dow Corning 795 but GE scs1200 will also work very well.

(I'm assuming your polycarb is at least 1/4" (6mm) material. If it's thinner - don't bother with it.

billdogg
05/04/2012, 04:43 AM
^^^What he said^^^

for baffles i have used whatever clear plastic (acrylic/polycarbonate/lexan/etc) sheet I have on hand with no problems whatsoever. As far as it absorbing water and expanding/cracking a tank - bah - nonsense, IMO. It may very well flex a little from the pressure, but will otherwise be pretty much inert.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/04/2012, 07:26 AM
You cannot use polycarbonate for limewater (kalkwasser) applications because the high pH will break down the plastic, but for in-tank applications it can be fine. :)