PDA

View Full Version : LR / Base rock help needed

i Tuna
05/03/2012, 02:04 PM
Hey everyone, I have a 24"cube reef systrm in the process with a 25g sump. At the moment i have about a 1" sandbed, maybe less. The aquarium is only half filled with water but i have water movement with a koralia nano along with another unknown type of chinese powerhead but the movement is good enough for now. I also have two pieces of fully cured Indonesian LR and another two smaller pieces of Idonesian branch LR in the setup. I have a few large pieces of dried out dusty coral skeletons (remenents of my old 66 gallon mixed reef which included a 12" monti colony, 11" tabling acro colony and a 6" inch porites), and I wanted to know if my calc / alk will be affected if I add the skeletons to my system after cleaning ofcourse. I really like the shapes of these coral and they are perfect for building a pinnacle with a platform.

Also how should I go about cleaning the skeletons to ensure they have nothing left over on them?

Thanks in advance.

TuNa

Chaotic Reefer4u
05/03/2012, 04:09 PM
my suggestion is to just rinse them off really good and put them in the display tank you should be fine, hope this helps...

i Tuna
05/04/2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks chatoic, I just wasn't entirely sure as to the possible seeping of ca/alk. It's been a good 8 years or so since I last had a reef so my memory is a little fuzzy :p

Jocko
05/04/2012, 06:55 AM
The ca/alk won't really dissolve in any noticeable way unless the pH gets down into the 6 range. So in other words a calcium reactor.

rays2k
05/04/2012, 07:48 AM
Wont hurt at all. Toll have yourself some cool,natural decorations.

i Tuna
05/04/2012, 09:31 AM
Awesome! Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it.:)