PDA

View Full Version : 90G reef ready in need of help

ChristopherFuse
05/03/2012, 02:51 PM
I have a 90 gallon reef tank drilled in the corner. I have the light and pipes in drilled section, and the sump section for the bottom. I need a return pump, thinking of getting danner mag 7, plus whatever else. I need to get this tank running so I can clean it out (white vinegar/water). I would like to convert it to a fresh setup (the wife) using the salt setup. Please help, I'm open to all help. Just not trying to break the bank. Thanks.

EllieSuz
05/03/2012, 04:30 PM
Christopher, if you could present your thread in the form of a question, we might be able to help. I'm not sure what you want to do. You don't have to run it full of water in order to clean it. I think it's better to use straight white vinegar in a spray bottle and clean it empty. Do I understand correctly that you want to use it for freshwater fish? If so, all you need to do is fill it up, put some sort of decoration in it, run a filter of some kind such as a canister and cycle the tank. Although nothing prevents you from using a sump in a freshwater setup, they aren't necessary. Since freshwater doesn't need the high flow rates the saltwater tanks do, you could get a small return pump, such as a Mag Drive 3 or 5, if you intend to keep a sump running. I suggest you find a freshwater forum such as WetWebMedia for some better answers since Reef Central is devoted solely to salt.

ChristopherFuse
05/03/2012, 09:12 PM
I'm really not sure which direction I want to go FW or SW, the reason for filling up the tank is so I can make sure all the valves work plus with the water circulating it will be easier to clean. The plumbing makes it hard to move around. I would like info on a great, quite pump, thats not expensive, help setting up the sump. I'm just new to this setup and looking for a direction and help. Thanks.

thegrun
05/03/2012, 10:43 PM
The Mag 7 is a good reliable pump. They are a little noisy and run hotter than the top of the line pumps like an Eheim 1262, but are a good solid choice. Equipment starts to vary greatly between fresh and saltwater, so you will need to decide before you go much farther.

scarface70706
05/03/2012, 11:08 PM
i run the mag 9.5 on my 90g. if i was you id go with the 9.5 and put a valve on it to control the flow. by doing this you can dial it in and have room to grow. good luck...

ps: since its reef ready you might as well make it a salt water tank. you paid extra for the rr system so you might as well use it to its full potential. go youtube a fresh water tank and then youtube a saltwater reef tank and and come back and tell me you dont want a salt water tank.

ChristopherFuse
05/04/2012, 07:41 PM
So I bought a mag 9.5 return pump. Do I need a protein skimmer? If so, I was thinking of getting a red berlin airlift 90, its only $45 (great price range).

ChristopherFuse
05/04/2012, 07:43 PM
U Rt way nicer, but I'm a cheap skate kinda.......