PDA

View Full Version : Product Proofing

MeTaLMaN1375
05/03/2012, 06:34 PM
Ok let me first tell you what Im working with.
Tank: 75g
Sump: 20g long
Protein Skimmer: Sealife Style not sure which but it works great.
Rock: About 100lbs live fiji
Sand: Almost 2 inches at its highest point aragonite live sand
Fish: 2 Clowns 1 lemon peel mimic tang 2 blue damsels 1 striped cardinal 1 bicolor blenny 1 peppermint shrimp about 5 hermit crabs 4 snails 1 anenome and a few corals.
Lights: PC 4 96w bulbs 2 white 2 blue
Power Head: 2 of them not sure the name brand but they create very good current.

Now Im experiencing a bit of a algea problem do to phosphates in my tank not to bad but want to check it before it gets out of hand so I was looking into a reactor but a dual one that can kill phosphate and use carbon but my budget doesnt allow for something expensive so I was looking at this product let me know if I would be waisting my money or if it can do both carbon and phosphate at the same time.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/poly-media-reactor.html

Ill be posting more things here to get your opinion and or maybe find someone here that knows where I can get what Im posting better and cheaper.

AquaReeferMan
05/03/2012, 06:54 PM
I have that poly reactor. Ive had it for about 2 years now. For the price you cannot beat it. It comes with the pump and tubing, all you would need to do is add some phosphate media. IMO running phosphate media is much more important than carbon. I personally do not even use carbon.

MeTaLMaN1375
05/03/2012, 07:32 PM
You know what I have a fluval 305 canister filter from my freshwater days with three media compartments can that be used as a media reactor?

AquaReeferMan
05/04/2012, 04:12 PM
I wouldnt use it for phosphate media. The flow rate is pretty high on those canisters. The phosphate media is more effective with slower water flow. I generally only have around or lower than 100gph. The fluval, with media, would most likely be around 250 to 300 gph.