PDA

View Full Version : HELP configuring internet access

Tim Duncan
05/03/2012, 09:29 PM
I have been fiddling with this controller all day and while most everything is working fine, I can't figure out how to configure the internet access correctly. I followed all instructions, got a domain name from "No-IP.com", assigned my Apex a static IP address, changed my port number, did the port forwarding thing....but when I tried testing it from another computer, it didn't work. Can anyone help? I'm lost and don't know what else to try

kurt_n
05/03/2012, 10:11 PM
When you tested it, did you include the new port number in the address? Like... http://myname.no-ip.com:XXXX where "XXXX" is your new port number?

Tim Duncan
05/03/2012, 11:32 PM
Ok, sorry about the 1st post, but I switched over to using a dyndns domain and everything worked perfectly.

Now my next question is how do I know my wireless gaming router is working with my Apex? Can I log into the Apex wirelessly from another computer in my house?

RussM
05/04/2012, 07:54 AM
Now my next question is how do I know my wireless gaming router is working with my Apex? Can I log into the Apex wirelessly from another computer in my house?You should be able to, using the actual local IP address of the Apex.

http://192.168.1.50 (using the actual IP address)

If you've changed the http port in the Apex, use:

http://192.168.1.50:1234 using the actual IP address and port configured in the Apex.

Tim Duncan
05/04/2012, 09:03 AM
What if I changed my Apex's IP address and port? I gave it a static address so I could access it from outside of my newtwork.....so would I use these new numbers to log in and make any needed changes?

kurt_n
05/04/2012, 09:54 AM
A little clarification...

The "static address" you assigned the Apex is only for use WITHIN your local network. That doesn't help you outside your network. That's when the dyndns name comes in to play.

So within your local network, put the address you assigned the Apex in your browser with the port number - like RussM said.

Outside your local network, put the dyndns address and port number in your browser - which it sounds like you've already got working.

Regarding that "no-ip.com" issue you had earlier, I'm guessing that if you gave it a day or two, it would've worked. Your new domain name probably just hadn't propogated within their system and they didn't know how to redirect you when you typed that address in. With dyndns, they seem to update pretty quick when setting things up, so it worked right off for you.

aquamanic
05/04/2012, 09:54 AM
so would I use these new numbers to log in and make any needed changes?

Yes but you're using different terms in your posts so to be clear, use those addresses when you're accessing your controller within your home. From the Internet, then you use the hostname you setup with DynDNS which in turn points to your router which then re-directs traffic to your controller.

aquamanic
05/04/2012, 09:55 AM
Oops...just a little late.

kurt_n
05/04/2012, 09:57 AM
You said it with fewer words though! :)

Tim Duncan
05/04/2012, 12:49 PM
Wow, thanks guys, I finally got it working and everything seems ok.

I got it fired up and plugged equipment into the outlets I programmed, but another problem popped up. I want to have to have my return pump and skimmer on constantly, but for some reason they weren't on unless I turned them on manually. I'm not really understanding the numbers that need to go in the time slots to program them correctly. Can anyone help with programming?

kurt_n
05/04/2012, 01:21 PM
Use the advanced programming mode, and just enter the following:

Fallback ON
Set ON

That will keep the outlet running all the time. (And don't forget to switch the outlet back to "auto" from "manual".)

Tim Duncan
05/04/2012, 03:00 PM
Use the advanced programming mode, and just enter the following:

Fallback ON
Set ON

That will keep the outlet running all the time. (And don't forget to switch the outlet back to "auto" from "manual".)

Perfect! What if I wanted to turn my skimmer off from 8pm to 11pm? I have no idea how to use the advanced mode, so what would I type?

aquamanic
05/04/2012, 03:49 PM
lookup the 'if time' command and syntax in the User Guide. It's all there.