PDA

View Full Version : Chevron tang not eating

RJT
05/04/2012, 07:53 PM
I just bought a 2in chevron and 2in powder blue tang. Both from liveaquaria (not DD). The pbt is swimming and eating some food.

The chevron was eating algae on the rocks and nothing else, now he isn't even doing that. He still tries to rule the tank by showing aggression to the pbt, lawnmower blenny and red velvet wrasse.

I have tried formula II, cyclopeeze, pellets, mysis and home made food (like rods) with garlic in it. He hasn't touched it. The other fish are having a buffet. There is nori on a clip 24/7, he doesn't acknowledge it.

I just got both today. Only time I have had a fish that did not touch food the first day was a chevron-and he didn't make it. Any suggestions on how to get him eating?

My tank is 6ft 150g tank, been running since Nov 2011. Other fish besides whats listed already, are a flame wrasse female and a bangaii cardinal pair.

ivanlo_0120
05/06/2012, 11:48 PM
wait wait wait

RJT
05/07/2012, 03:59 AM
You''re right-wait. Plus some help from Garlic Extreme. He ate mysis yesterday afternoon.

humaguy
05/07/2012, 04:21 AM
patience does help...but you might also want to try live black worms...or live brine...

travis32
05/07/2012, 06:11 AM
I just got a chevron from the LFS. I let it stay at the LFS for over a month, no one purchased it and it was eating out of their hands at the fish store. I got it home a couple weeks ago, acclimated him, and he's eating flake food like it's the best thing since sliced bread. I feed veggie flakes and other flakes. I've got plenty of algae on the back glass and on some rocks for it to eat. It's constantly eating non stop.

I had a flame angel in with it and the flame would attack the chevron, actually chewed part of the Chevron's tail off. I sold the flame angel and since then in under a week most of the tail has grown back. So, It's really doing awesome.

The Chevron is starting to beat on my Swallowtail angel, but, nothing major yet.

Mine pigs out like crazy. It even picks algae off the sand bed if there is any, and eats stuff the goby sifts in the water column.

RJT
05/07/2012, 07:05 AM
Chevron's can be mean. Haven't heard of one killing a fish. They just like having territory.

For what they cost I can see how they can be in a lfs for a month.

Tried blackworms chevron swam around them.

alton
05/07/2012, 12:09 PM
Unusual for a 2" Chevron to be territorial? Mine did not get that way until he became an adult. As far as getting them to eat meat doesn't make sense they are an algae eating fish. Don't clean your glass for a while, you will have solid lip marks from the Chevron. What helped mine was Zoe soaked foods and Spiralina brine shrimp.

RJT
05/07/2012, 12:29 PM
He eats the algae on the rocks all day, plus the nori. There is a small area by an anemone that he likes to call home. Only the lawnmower blenny, which is a lot bigger than he is, can sit there besides him. Anyone else he tries to get them away.

Goal is to get him on frozen Formula I and II. It has a fair amount of everything. I soak all food in Selcon.

travis32
05/08/2012, 09:32 AM
I've been feeding primarily veggie flakes. I've got some frozen formul 1 and 2. I haven't tried feeding that yet. I did have a seaweed disk that I put in the tank and it ate that up like it was the best thing since sliced bread. I'm hoping it makes a dent in my dead algae... Lots of it still hanging around... (Had a major algae problem... It's all dead, and not coming back, but, many remnants of it stuck to corals and hard to reach places...)

The chevron is picking at the dead stuff and the dead stuff in the sand. I think it's remaining healthy. There's kiss marks all over the glass too.

Yes, mine is feisty. It hangs out with my clowns, goby, and blenny. It can't stand the angel though. Maybe competing for the same food? I don't know.