PDA

View Full Version : 90G custom tank Dims & Flow Layout, Urgent*

Coconuts Mcgee
05/04/2012, 08:22 PM
Hi, I know that one would not usually rush something like ordering a custom tank but it is the timeframe I was given and I need to have the tank designed by sunday.

Here is the plan... for a mixed tank, LPS and Fish, coral later

I am going to order a tank with the dims of 48L 20H 22W I want it to be viewable from both long sides and one end. For cost sake I will keep the overflow within the tank (the last 5" of the end or so) I was thinking that I could have the return incorporated to the back overflow by sectioning it off. I will also purchase a wavebox nano to help move the water. If I situate the wave box under the return (which is sharing the back "wall" that is the overflow) will I have issues with water circulation and dead spots? (I know the rock changes this)

Have you seen a tank like this and how does it perform?

Thank you very much for your input

ReefNole
05/04/2012, 11:24 PM
Just to clear up confusion, it sounds like you are looking into a peninsula tank is this correct? And assuming that is what you mean, you want the overflow to be located on the one "wall" that will not be viewed through, correct?

I'm not sure what you meant by "have the return incorporated to the back overflow by sectioning it off." Do you mean have the return come up through the overflow to eliminate extra pipes in the tank? If so, that sounds like most standard (not custom) overflows.

A lot of your circulation will also depend on how much rock will be blocking the water from circulating and displacement.

I'm no expert on overflows as I have never drilled one myself, but it may help with more specifics of how much rock you intend to use, what type of overflow (column or bean animal), and how large of a return pump you expect to use.

Coconuts Mcgee
05/05/2012, 02:21 AM
Thank you so much for your valuable input.
yes, Peninsula, and yes, non see through overflow at the one end.

As for the sectioning off bit, I was going off what a friend told me and thought I had to have a section for the return and another for the overflow.
I have included a sketch of what I think the overflow will now be. Is this the common way of doing it? Also, sorry about the lighting and poor penmanship.

As for the rock formations, I think I have a rough idea of what I want. 2 formations, one much larger with an open space between, as indicated in the sketch. would the wavebox be able to move the water enough with a pump spec'd at 5000GPH (I think that is what I was looking at in the LFS) Do you think that I could make this formation and still have the water flow properly?
Would there be a better location for the wave box? I figured it could work with the return to push the water to the end and have it return on the other side.

Does this look like it will work? If not could you suggest a better way to build a clean peninsula?

Thanks again!

StevenSinger
05/05/2012, 07:22 AM
Looks like a good Idea, Would you be able cad this with google sketch or something?

Coconuts Mcgee
05/05/2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks, I am capable of drafting up the tank although I don't think it will show much more information. Does anybody see a potential issue with flow in this tank??
Thanks!