PDA

View Full Version : "Hi, I have a question?" ---puh---leeze, dear friends...

Sk8r
05/05/2012, 10:38 AM
"Hi. I have a question. How many fish can I keep in my tank?" [no tank description.]
"Hi, I have a question. How much do I feed my fish?" [no statement about what kind of fish, nature of tank, size of tank.]
"Hi. I have a question. Can I keep a lionfish?" [no tank info.]
"Hi. I have a question. My fish won't leave the corner. Why?" [no tank info, no info re species of fish, other fishes present, water quality, etc.]
"Hi. I have a question. What should I feed my corals?" [No species information.]
"Hi. I have a question. Why do my fish keep dying?" [No tank info, no species info, no water info.]
"Hi, I have a question. My params are all fine. Can I keep corals?" [no precise numbers, no info on lighting.]
"Hi. I have a question. Why are my fish fighting?" { :headwally: )

dannyp02908
05/05/2012, 10:41 AM
lol, i have been lurking for sometime and recognize your name as one of the more experienced reefers on this forum, and when i saw you post that you had a question, i was slightly shocked since you are usually the answer man.

docstomper
05/05/2012, 10:44 AM
St8 from spocompton!! lol. Ah I miss WA.

sponger0
05/05/2012, 10:47 AM
"Hi. I have a question. How many fish can I keep in my tank?" [no tank description.]
"Hi, I have a question. How much do I feed my fish?" [no statement about what kind of fish, nature of tank, size of tank.]
"Hi. I have a question. Can I keep a lionfish?" [no tank info.]
"Hi. I have a question. My fish won't leave the corner. Why?" [no tank info, no info re species of fish, other fishes present, water quality, etc.]
"Hi. I have a question. What should I feed my corals?" [No species information.]
"Hi. I have a question. Why do my fish keep dying?" [No tank info, no species info, no water info.]
"Hi, I have a question. My params are all fine. Can I keep corals?" [no precise numbers, no info on lighting.]
"Hi. I have a question. Why are my fish fighting?" { :headwally: )

Hahaha Pretty much

SushiGirl
05/05/2012, 11:11 AM
i was slightly shocked since you are usually the answer WOMAN.

Fixed that for ya LOL.

Stolireef
05/05/2012, 11:34 AM
++++++many for Sk8tr. And ten points for Sushi for the funniest post this morning.

snorvich
05/05/2012, 12:49 PM
Ah, yes. Those questions. You have no idea how often those pop up. And in the fish disease forum, similar ones. What is wrong with my tang?

scapes
05/05/2012, 01:53 PM
Hi. I have a question. Can i keep a tang in a ten gallon.

:lol:

Palting
05/05/2012, 02:04 PM
Hi. Can I add salt? This is URGENT!! PLS!! :)

(Sk8r is female?? Really? I think I just admitted I'm a chauvinist pig! LOL!!)

trinidiver
05/05/2012, 02:23 PM
LOL....................a person who keeps fish once asked me if i can find him some FRESH WATER SEAHORSES.

agreeive?fish
05/05/2012, 02:41 PM
i got an empty 29g can i keep a clown tang

no tank way to small for any tang

ok can i keep a sohal tang

no again tank way to small

ok can i keep a unicorn tang

no see above answers

what tang can i keep in a 29g

none as tank is to small for any tang

my friend says i can keep a tang in a 29g so why do you all say i cant

multiple heated comments follow

then thread gets closed

next week from original29g tang tank poster again

my powder blue tang is not doing well whats wrong with him

what size tank, tank mates , water parameters ect

29g, yellow tang, nemo and dori, tank has been running for 1 week, my lfs had a sale i couldnt pass up

and the saga continues thru countless threads of similar postings

Metal Man 1221
05/05/2012, 02:51 PM
With all do respect, some people don't know what kind of information is required to answer those questions. The best thing we can do is ask them the right questions so we can lead them in the right direction, rather than poke fun at them. Not everyone in the hobby sees the information we do as common sense. When people begin to understand that they need to provide more useful information for others to answer their questions, they're less likely to ask questions with out providing at least some relevant information.

bamf25
05/05/2012, 03:09 PM
Sk8r are you getting bitter and burned out?

Sk8r
05/05/2012, 05:38 PM
No. Not half.
Just occasionally you have to wonder. "Hi. I have a car. It's red. It won't start. What's the matter with it?" ;) "Hi. I'm cooking dinner. What temperature should I use?" It's the disease of the internet---the question unaccompanied by any data whatever. I suspect people regard it as a conversation opener...but, y'know, we have a marvelous little thing on RC: your personal profile. Go to that and fill out details about your tank and inhabitants. WHen somebody asks me a question, I look immediately at that sig line to see if they've got any clue for me whether I'm dealing with a nano or a megatank...and THAT trails you everywhere and provides automatic information when you ask for help.

Misled
05/05/2012, 05:49 PM
I just hovered over the thread title and almost had an aneurysm. Then I saw who posted it. I giggled to myself a little. Have a glass of wine Sk8r!!!!!

PurpleMonkey
05/05/2012, 07:29 PM
No. Not half.
Just occasionally you have to wonder. "Hi. I have a car. It's red. It won't start. What's the matter with it?" ;)

This made me laugh soo hard. I used to work the parts counter at Canadian Tire (kinda like Pep Boys meets Walmart?) and at least once a day I would get the "Hi, I need that part for the car... its metal... my car has 4 doors and 4 wheels. It is red."

Sk8r
05/05/2012, 07:37 PM
In a bookstore: "Hi. I need this book." "What's the title?" "I don't know, but it's a green book."

Metal Man 1221
05/05/2012, 10:51 PM
That doesn't mean you have to poke fun at people about it. It's not a good attitude to have with people who just don't know any better. It takes time to know what information is relevant to diagnosing a problem. Starting negative threads and making people feel like crap about it isn't a very good way to promote the hobby. When I first started the hobby I didn't use RC for a good while for this very reason. My questions were "dumb" and I got nothing but negative feedback. If it weren't for the forgiving and patient members on here I probably wouldn't be here either.

BriggsReef
05/06/2012, 12:04 AM
I know for a fact I was guilty of asking commonly answered questions from time to time.

But as time goes on and I'm not AS MUCH of a nooby i realize that most of my questions are much more common and can be found...so i don't ask as many questions that have already been answered 345987349587 times.

Bowels
05/06/2012, 12:11 AM
Sk8tr I need more information to answer your questions, and prob you should start a separate thread for each question :-P lol actually its good to know what experienced people want... prompted me to put my tank specs in my sig :) thanks

Sk8r
05/06/2012, 12:16 AM
Yep, tank specs in the sig line covers about everything. And it's not that hard to do. Go to your profile and tinker a bit til you've been able to fit in the basics of your setup. WHen you're new you don't know what's significant and you're apt to leave out something important, but if you think it through and have your sig lines filled out with info, you'll increase the likelihood of somebody spotting what your trouble could be, relative to your question.

feh
05/06/2012, 04:26 AM
Can I keep a humphead wrasse in my 10 gallon tank? :deadhorse1:

Joel_155
05/06/2012, 05:43 AM
Sk8tr i just wanted to mention that you have been very helpful with my build. Ive pretty much read all your posts as they have a ton of great information.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Cloudburst2000
05/06/2012, 07:05 AM
I don't so much mind noobs asking questions like that...they are new after all, and probably don't know what to post. Though it would help if they read the stickies. It does irritate me a bit when it is an older member who does the same thing. They should know better by that point.

And it irritates me when you give advice to someone on a problem and all they do is argue about the advice given. "Oh no, that's not right. I'm doing everything right, but I can't figure out why my fish are dying/why I have a huge algae problem/etc." If you are having problems with your tank, then you are very likely not doing everything right so listen to the advice people give you or simply don't ask for advice if you aren't going to listen to any of it! That's what irritates me most about the site. Well, that and people who don't read entire posts and jump down the OP's throat about something because either they didn't read all the posts and missed vital info or they misread something. I have seen countless times of posters 'insulting' the OP for a perceived wrong when it totally contradicted what the OP had written in previous posts in the thread. IF you can't take the time to read all the info the OP posted, then don't comment because you often make yourself look like an jerk.

reeferstace
05/06/2012, 08:11 AM
That doesn't mean you have to poke fun at people about it. It's not a good attitude to have with people who just don't know any better. It takes time to know what information is relevant to diagnosing a problem. Starting negative threads and making people feel like crap about it isn't a very good way to promote the hobby. When I first started the hobby I didn't use RC for a good while for this very reason. My questions were "dumb" and I got nothing but negative feedback. If it weren't for the forgiving and patient members on here I probably wouldn't be here either.

I wish you would look at the NUMEROUS stickies that Sk8r has created to help newbies get started. She has written so many useful posts that I have lost count. I think the issue she is poking fun of is that most people make posts like the ones she references without having taken a single step to read through all the valuable information here.

One would be hard pressed to find someone on RC more willing to help than Sk8r. I would imagine even the most altruistic among us gets a bit tired of people wanting someone else to do all the work for him/her.

f3honda4me
05/06/2012, 08:36 AM
No one is poking fun at people who are new. The issue is people who are too lazy to help themselves or lack the common sense to provide useful information. There is a difference between being new and being inept or lazy.

reeferstace
05/06/2012, 04:33 PM
No one is poking fun at people who are new. The issue is people who are too lazy to help themselves or lack the common sense to provide useful information. There is a difference between being new and being inept or lazy.

I agree. :)

sponger0
05/11/2012, 06:16 AM
The being lazy part isnt what kills me so much. Granted you should be able to search and get some kind of answer to questions.

What kills me more than anything is when someone asks a question....or needs advice, but completely disregards the advice....such as can I put a blue tang in a 20 gallon......and after a gazillion people say no....they do it anyway and then wonder why they are having trouble with it or say oh....i plan on getting a 200 gallon tank next week.

funkejj
05/11/2012, 07:09 AM
The lazy thing I really really hate is when people don't post the test results they just say normal. You ask them the test values again and they again reply normal. come on you want a answer to the issue then answer the questions to help solve the problem.

Psirex
05/11/2012, 07:59 AM
I know i'm still a noob to this forum but if I here "I have an algae problem, how do I get rid of it" one more time.....

TheAquatect
05/11/2012, 08:04 AM
IMO the only thing that adds to this already funny thread is the "oh I know some guy who said he had good/bad results doing that, so it's ok." I always appreciate FMA (From My A**) knowledge. :)

sponger0
05/11/2012, 08:04 AM
I know i'm still a noob to this forum but if I here "I have an algae problem, how do I get rid of it" one more time.....

Lmao.:lmao:

Psirex
05/11/2012, 09:57 AM
IMO the only thing that adds to this already funny thread is the "oh I know some guy who said he had good/bad results doing that, so it's ok." I always appreciate FMA (From My A**) knowledge. :)

+1 for the FMA reference!

torvall
05/11/2012, 10:10 AM
This thread is just as worthless as those created posing a question and no details.

sponger0
05/11/2012, 10:13 AM
This thread is just as worthless as those created posing a question and no details.

Just like this post? Lmao

Psirex
05/11/2012, 10:13 AM

Worthless - no, it provides comic relief....

wrong forum\section - maybe....

blackcrystal22
05/11/2012, 10:32 AM
I see this occur on many forums I go on. All animal keeping alike.

It bothers me mostly because many people want things handed to them without having to put any effort into research of species or husbandry.

Thus, it is the lack of willing to do a bit of research first that's the problem for me. If people did a bit of research ahead of time and still had a question, they would likely provide the necessary information to receive proper answers.

Rather than "help my tang is sitting in a corner". etc.

I understand that these forums are meant to provide information and help to those in need and those new to the hobby. However, I think that if you are going to belong to a hobby in animal care of any kind, you have to be willing to do a large amount of research for the sake of the animals.

That aside, I have been reading these forums for 3 weeks now before I get my tank set up. I hardly post during my research phase. :)

anbosu
05/11/2012, 11:57 AM
One of the easy things to forget being on a good website is just how much bad information there is about this hobby on the internet. If I had discovered this website when I got into the hobby (instead of 6-7 years later) I would have spent a lot less money and had a lot more success.

sirreal63
05/11/2012, 02:31 PM
Anyone who finds this thread even the least bit offensive is part of the problem, not the solution.

Sk8r, I applaud your ability to not go postal on people, it takes a very special person to be as tolerant as you are. Research is a lost art. Far too many people here think that research is asking a question. It makes me wonder how some of these people got out of school or if they ever plan on getting out of school. RC is one of the most amazing sources of information and the search button is the best tool ever invented, and most important of all, it is free. There are very few questions that can be asked that have not been touched upon in one way or another.

sponger0
05/11/2012, 02:32 PM
Anyone who finds this thread even the least bit offensive is part of the problem, not the solution.

Sk8r, I applaud your ability to not go postal on people, it takes a very special person to be as tolerant as you are. Research is a lost art. Far too many people here think that research is asking a question. It makes me wonder how some of these people got out of school or if they ever plan on getting out of school. RC is one of the most amazing sources of information and the search button is the best tool ever invented, and most important of all, it is free. There are very few questions that can be asked that have not been touched upon in one way or another.

What is school?? Is that where fish go to learn? lol

blackcrystal22
05/11/2012, 04:21 PM

I agree completely.

I think part of research is asking questions specific to your troubleshooting and/or your specific tank. However, things that are general should be looked up. If you can't find the answer then it is good to ask. Taking a few hours to read through some of these forums saves a lot more time than buying and reading a book like you HAD to years ago. But people are lazy because we are raised lazy. These forums, like many others, are full of people's experience and troubleshooting. That's more than a book with one author has to offer.

tkeracer619
05/11/2012, 07:27 PM
HELP!!! URGENT!!! I HAVE A QUESTION!!

I thought women on the internet was a myth? So your saying its not true ;)

My biggest peeve isn't a noob or anyone else not providing enough info. It's when they make me live through the sheep who cried wolf.

I blame our news media... They sling that stupid alert attention getter to tell us something about the Kardashians...

The water parameters as "good" after asking for them is when I find another thread. Usually when you say " they are good" it translates to us that you don't know because you haven't tested in 3 months.

sponger0
05/12/2012, 06:14 AM
Also researching is the best way to get a quick answer when your in a bind. There isnt always someone to answer your question quickly. I guess searching is too difficult. lol