PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy alk part

hillscp
05/05/2012, 02:53 PM
I have been using BRS two part for a couple of years buying 1gal containers. The shipping was killing me so I bought bulk 5 gal containers of the alk and ca parts. I keep the lids on tight. The first couple of mixes were nice and clear but as time goes on each successive mix of the alk part is cloudier. There is also a precipitate that forms on the bottom of the jug. Should I be concerned about the long term viability of the product? I am guessing that it is turning into bicarbonate. Would baking it "fix" this? Maybe I should look for a better storage solution?

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/05/2012, 03:13 PM
About how much of the initial added solid do you think is present as solids remaining?

If were are talking about a small amount, I wouldn't worry about it.

hillscp
05/05/2012, 03:19 PM
Small - 1% maybe

hillscp
05/05/2012, 04:36 PM
I think I'll heat the next batch in the oven like your Reef Keeping article says to do with bicarb and see if it improves the solubility.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/05/2012, 05:52 PM
That's a fine plan, but 1% of solids sitting on the bottom is no concern. No one is measuring the amounts that carefully anyway, and it will just be 99% potent as opposed to 100% potent. :)

hillscp
05/05/2012, 06:22 PM
I get it. But it seems to be getting less and less soluble as time goes by. That's the point :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/05/2012, 06:49 PM
Could be CO2 is entering it, making it less soluble as the pH drops. Or it is evaporating and getting too concentrated.