PDA

View Full Version : Planning an SPS tank, thoughts and advice wanted please.

lotusstar
05/05/2012, 08:42 PM
Posted in the SPS forum since its mostly SPS I'm planning for but never got a response so maybe I will here. No pictures of pretty equipment, fish or corals yet. That's still a ways out, trying to plan everything out first before I starting buying and building.

I recently sold my 92 gallon tank with soft corals, lps, and clams. I am in the planning stages for my upgrade so please give me advice. I've been pouring over build threads.

Tank: either standard 180. 72x24x24
Or
DSA 155. 72x24x21

Skimmer ATB 840 (already have)
Return Mac drive 12
In tank flow tunze 6105x2 and tunze 6085x2
ATI sunpower 8x80w. 60 inch fixture.
Tunze osmolator for top off
Bubble magus triple doser for cal / alk / mag
2 brs reactors. 1 for carbon 1 for gfo.
Apex lite controller
Planning on using a 75 gallon tank as a sump and install baffles.
Sump I'm trying to figure out how to do it. Want a skimmer section and fuge and return area. What I'm not sure about is should I set it up in a line. Tank drains to skimmer > refugium > return. Or have it split where tank drains to skimmer and refugium, with the return in the center. Any tips on this?

Ive also been reading up on algae scrubbers. So not sure if utilizing a scrubber for nutrient export and a fuge together is a good idea or not. Maybe the fuge section would just be for pod production then? I plan to eventually get a mandarin so pods will be essential. If I use a scrubber or fuge will I need gfo as well? Maybe yes just less used?

Next thing that makes me go hmmm. Is the reactors. I see a lot of people run them off their return pump, this seems counterproductive to me. I was thinking run them off the drain. That way gravity fed so save the energy, and may be more useful? Not sure here. Thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Planning a moderately heavy stocked tank, or fed tank at least with 1 maybe 2 tangs and 5 or so anthias. Along with some other fish. Thinking 100 or so lbs live rock. Planning either marcorock or brs pukani? I want to start with dead rock to avoid unwanted stuff. Will probably cure it for a few months in the garage. Hopefully wont have phosphate issues if i cure it and actively remove it that long Want the fish to have plenty of swim room and space for coral growth.

I haven't made any purchases yet. Other than I already had the skimmer and 1 6105 that I kept from the 90. Will this ATB 840 skimmer work on these size tanks? Not going to buy equipment until I get everything settled and planned. Last tank was bought off Craigslist. Ended up loving it but realized the true value of planning. I have patience though. That's no problem for me. Will be starting a build thread when it comes time for purchasing. Which is probably a 10-12 months out.

Any help in plans will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hollister
05/05/2012, 09:48 PM
Stoney coral like a mature tank and consistant good water conditions. I would get a few softies and wait 6 months before adding a stoney.

lotusstar
05/06/2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the advice. Have little to no interest in soft coral. Was planning to run the tank fowlr for 6-12 months before putting corals in. That way i want to somewhat establish a bioload, get good coralline and then start The SPS after the tank has matured some.