PDA

View Full Version : 29g stocking questions

sixty4tw
05/06/2012, 03:15 PM
I just moved and have upgraded and I'm just about done cycling my 29g cube (not a BioCube...29g with live sand, about 25 lb. LR, HOB filter (Fluval C3), Marineland Double Bright LED, Eheim 150w heater, etc.) I'm not ready to get a skimmer yet. I may add a small powerhead though. Please understand that I want to keep it basic for now. I've been in the hobby for only a year but have read up and studied a lot and try to be as responsible as possible. My tank will start out as FOWLR and I may decide to dabble in some "beginner" corals later this year.

Things that are important to me at this point in the hobby:

-low maintenance (livestock and equipment)
-peaceful community fish
-hardy fish

I will be moving my only fish, a Yellow Watchman Goby, into the new tank later this week. I had a very nice Chalk Bass, but unfortunately he did not survive the move. At most I will have a total a 5 fish, more likely 4.

CUC will also be very basic, a cleaner shrimp, a few snails or a few small hermits (not both).

I am looking into smaller, hardier fish and understand the need to add those that are more likely to show aggression last.

Some that I am currently I am considering:

Yellow-Banded Possum Wrasse or Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

Gold or MacNeill's (Blue) Assessor

Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish
(I am talking about the High Fin Perchlet that is related to the Anthia family, not the Pygmy Spotted Hawkfish, which is a true Hawk and likely too aggressive.)

Bicolor or Tailspot or Smith's Blenny
(I would prefer a blenny that is an omnivore and will eat Mysis)

Purple Firefish

Zebra Dartfish (pair)

Some that I have probably ruled out:

Cherub Angel
- potential aggressiveness, not many success stories

Flasher Wrasse (McCosker's, Carpenter's, Filamented, Blue, etc)
- love them but many think 29g is too small

Least agressive Dottyback species (Sankey's or Striped, Fridmani, or Indigo Hybrid)
- have heard mostly good stories about these three but it would be just my luck to get an individual that is a bully.

Cardinals (Pajama or Red-Striped)
- seems they do best in groups

So, I would love to know your thoughts, other suggestions, experiences with any of these fish and whether a mix of 3 or 4 of any of them, along with my YWG would be a good mix. My biggest concern is that some of these shy fish will never be out because of one agressive fish. I'm hopeful that if they are all on the timid side they will not be hiding as much.

Thanks in advance for you help and advice.

P.S. - I would post this in Snorvich's sticky thread, but I would like to hear from multiple members if possible.