PDA

View Full Version : weird smelling water in 50g cube

septicdeath
05/07/2012, 10:44 AM
So, Im on my 3rd week or so of using ESV Bionic salt, I've made sure to mix it all using weight. (Bought a 10#- 1 gram precise scale, and a 200#- .1# precise scale to be able to mix by weight including water).

Anyways, my cadlights 1150 skimmer is running well, and not pulling out too much at this time (its still working, just stating that my bio load is lower, and the skimmer shows this). But I've noticed that my 50g has a weird smell to it, its not until you get over the tank, nose 7-8 inches away. Its in a large room, and the smell dissipates unless you really have a good sniffer, but I smell it.

The esv is mixed and agitated, overnight, usually heated a couple of hours before use (ie: mixed saturday morning, heated before use sunday in afternoon, water change sunday night, etc, etc). I WILL NOTE the mixed water does NOT have this smell.

I really dont think that its organics, as the skimmer isn't going off the hook. I did add some corals lately (duncan and torch), and they were all acclimated in revive before going into the tank.

Also, I did add 10 orange ricordia's that I got on plugs and over the weekend I broke as much of the plugs as possible and made my own ricordia island by gluing 10 to a baseball sized rock (broke as much of the plugs away and used the little bit of plug that remained to glue to rock) <- figured I mention since I know ricordia's can get slimy, but I didn't see too much slime during the operation. Ricordia's are all open and doing well, as are ALL corals in the tank.
Anyways, here are my parameters to prove my statement about organics.

nh4- 0ppm salifert
no2- 0ppm salfert
no3- 5ppm salifert
po4- .03ppm Hanna
mg- 1395ppm salifert
Ca- 465ppm salifert
kh- 9.1dkh salifert

ph- 8.10 apex
orp- 298 apex
sg- 35ppt apex
temp- apex RT (so 76 - 76.6 the last week)

Thanks in advance.

bertoni
05/07/2012, 10:56 AM
I'd run some fresh carbon. I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but if it started when the Ricordea were added, the smell might go away on its own in a while. They might be sliming a bit or other corals could be responding to their presence.

septicdeath
05/07/2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks, fresh Rox and Granular GFO with last nights water change. (two 5gallon water changes, I know this is different than a single 10gal water change).

Smell was identified before the water change, had to goto work so didn't get a chance to smell before leaving.

bertoni
05/07/2012, 11:25 AM
Okay, hopefully, the smell will be gone by the time you're back from work.