PDA

View Full Version : glass or acrylic for 300 gallon tank

acasp4
05/07/2012, 06:10 PM
I'm looking to get a large tank 300 - 400 gallons. I keep going back and forth between glass or acrylic. What would you recommend? what are pros and cons between the two? Is the bracing on the tops of acrylic tanks a pain in the A**? All comments welcome thanks.

Im14abeer
05/07/2012, 08:10 PM
Well, the problem with doing the pros and cons is that each person weights them differently. I for one know if I put a scratch in a 300 gal. starphire tank, I'd have a hard time looking past it every time I looked at the tank.

tritonman
05/07/2012, 08:12 PM
Well, the problem with doing the pros and cons is that each person weights them differently. I for one know if I put a scratch in a 300 gal. starphire tank, I'd have a hard time looking past it every time I looked at the tank.
+1

I'd go glass.

James77
05/07/2012, 08:15 PM
Acrylics biggest con is scratchability. Yes, it can be buffed out, but what a PITA. Yes, glass cannot easily or realistically be buffed out....but in all my 13+ years of aquariums, I have never scratched a glass tank to where it was something you didn't have to look for.

Other pros of acrylic- like weight- are temporary in terms of moving. A quality, low iron/starfire glass tank will be just as impressive as an acrylic looks wise.

Lpabsolute
05/07/2012, 09:03 PM
+2 Glass all the way

BioSphere
05/07/2012, 09:26 PM
Go with glass. It is a lot heavier, so that maybe a factor for you, in terms of a stand, etc. I have always had glass tanks and no regrets.

acasp4
05/07/2012, 09:37 PM
What are some good aquarium builders that are reasonably priced for glass tanks?? I live in chicago.

ironwill723
05/07/2012, 10:55 PM
Great Lakes Aquariums is near Detriot. Google their website. Great prices.

gatorrx98
05/08/2012, 05:22 AM
I vote for low iron glass. I had a 320 gallon built by Reef Savvy (Felix Bordon) in Miami and it turned out fantastic. Felix ships all over the US.

Good Luck!

Dustin1300
05/08/2012, 06:48 AM
This is one of those topics that everyone will argue whatever they have. I recently bought a 96"X48"X30" acrylic tank because of my situation and trying to maneuver a huge tank into basement.

I've leaned towards acrylic because of additional weight of a glass tank and the maneuverability to get the tank into my basement. That being said, below are some key points:

- Acrylic scratches easier but can be buffed out completely (Even when wet). Glass is less likely to scratch but does and will and you don't really have the option to buff it out.
- Glass is quite a bit heavier. On the 450 I've been quoted at glass tank was going to weigh 1200+ pounds. My 600 gallon probably weighs in the 400-500 lb range when the same sized glass would probably be 1500+ pounds!
- Depending on the time you expect the aquarium to be in place, silicone will leak at some point. With acrylic it is a plastic bonded together and really is a stronger tank if built correctly IMO.
- Custom glass tanks will cost ~25% more to have built based on the quotes I got.

As far as glass goes, top pick based on my research is A.G.E. (TX) followed by Miracles and then ReefSavvy. Acrylic, I'd go with Midwest Acrylic or A.G.E.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

Jachael
05/08/2012, 07:32 AM
Agreed. It all comes down to weight, durability, clarity and scratchability. (I think that's a new word).

IMO the thing with weight is a little over rated. When you 300g tank is going to have 4000-5000 lbs in water,rock and sand, to me the difference in 500-750lbs of the tank doesn't make a difference. where it does matter is that one time set-up where you have to move it in your house.. so how many friends do you have? :bounce1:

You can get great clarity with starphire or low-iron glass. So the question is how do you rate durability and scratchability... Obviously there is a risk that silicone will leak after many years, but acrylic can get dull and discolored and it scratches... FWIW, I'm going with glass on my 300+ gallon. :wave:

dzfish17
05/08/2012, 07:36 AM
I agree with Dustin. On some tanks it makes sense to go with acrylic. My tank is big and tall so weight was one of the reasons but I also wanted to drill my own holes and acrylic is easier to drill for most people. I plan on keeing the tank for 25+ yrs and a properly built acrylic tank is stronger. We have our fair share of earthquakes in Ca so that was a factor in my decision.