PDA

View Full Version : QUIET pumps?

Authentic
05/08/2012, 02:37 PM
I just bought a eheim 1262 for my 65 gal setup.I have done everything to quiet the hum,high density pads,acoustic foam,and a pad under my sump,still i can hear it hum.the tank is against an adjoining wall to the bedroom and the last thing i want to do is move it,is there a quieter pump out there?does anyone have a eheim compact?if so is it quieter.

Allmost
05/08/2012, 02:39 PM
I use the same pump, and no noise, but Im noise tolerant, so might be there and I dont hear it.

if you want quiter than Eheim, you would have to look at Red dragon pumps, expensive, but reliable and produces only 3 DB of noise I think.

Subw00er
05/08/2012, 02:43 PM
Look at sicce

Landsailor
05/08/2012, 03:04 PM
It's external, but the ReeFlo Blowhole pumps are "put your ears next to them to hear 'em" quiet.

sirreal63
05/08/2012, 03:05 PM
How is it plumbed, hard pipe or soft?

bdr
05/08/2012, 03:24 PM
i too just bought this pump from great reviews. mine isnt quiet so silent either. i have 3ft soft pipe even when i hold it off the bottom a couple inchs it hums.

atreis
05/08/2012, 04:09 PM
All pumps hum - some more loudly than others, but they all do it some.

My Tunze Silence is good, but would be about the same as the Eheim.

a.browning
05/08/2012, 07:05 PM
All pumps will have some hum to them. Is your pump plumbed straight with hard plumbing? This can add to vibration. From my experience, the Eheim pumps are about as quiet as you can get, as well as the ATB/Askoll/Laguna based pumps.

Authentic
05/09/2012, 05:06 AM
Plumbed it with soft tubing for about a foot,there is another thread about the 3000 compact that says its super quiet,anyone else have one of these?

reeflo/sequence
05/15/2012, 10:59 AM
Of course I'm biased but the one comment that we heard from 100% of our field testers last year was-super quiet..just saying

KevinYates
05/15/2012, 12:20 PM
a complaint with an ehiem pump? almost unheard of. Check the magnet and impeller and make sure the impeller shaft has its little rubber piece on the end of it.

E.intheC
05/15/2012, 12:27 PM
A 1262 is also a TON of pump for that size tank.

Take a look at the Tunze silence return pump or the maxi jet utility pumps. Theyre also good

James77
05/15/2012, 01:45 PM
It is always a gamble with pumps and reviews of the noise level of them, it is such a subjective area. I have had pumps-like Eheim 1262- that people swear are silent drive me up a wall with their humming. The one truly dead silent pump- that is zero noise with no other ambient noise around it- was the velocity external pumps. Discontinued as that brand, but sold under "Laing" pumps. Lagunas are ones that all have said are dead silent- including ATB and MSX plus skimmer adaptions. No personal experience yet, but I will be trying likely a Laguna or the ATB version very soon. Other than that....the water blaster, Sicce Syncra, and Eheims are all comparable noise wise, very quiet but in no way silent.

reeflo/sequence
05/15/2012, 03:32 PM
funny you should say that because the BlowHoles are based on the velocity pumps-but without the heat

bamf25
05/15/2012, 03:34 PM
My waterblaster hy5000 is quiet. The 2000 or 3000 would fit your tank better. Not 100% silent, but the slight bubbling of the return is louder than the pump.

James77
05/15/2012, 06:05 PM
funny you should say that because the BlowHoles are based on the velocity pumps-but without the heat

Yes, they also remind me of hydronic circulators used in heating, which are also extremely quiet if not silent. I was really considering ther blowholes, and may again someday, but on my yet-another-tank-redo I am going with an internal.

makutaku
06/10/2012, 01:54 AM
..., but on my yet-another-tank-redo I am going with an internal.

Could you please share why you will prefer to go with an internal ? What brand/model ?

96p993
06/10/2012, 06:36 AM
I just bought a eheim 1262 for my 65 gal setup.I have done everything to quiet the hum,high density pads,acoustic foam,and a pad under my sump,still i can hear it hum.the tank is against an adjoining wall to the bedroom and the last thing i want to do is move it,is there a quieter pump out there?does anyone have a eheim compact?if so is it quieter.

I hope you are running one HUGE manifold off this pump, that thing is way to big for a 65 gallon...Im running a 1260 on my 100 gallon and its been great, have you run it in vinegar, cleaned it, opened it up to make all is ok (not sure if its new)....

Subw00er
06/10/2012, 02:16 PM
I went with a sicce .5 in my pico and a 3.5 in my 50br. Both have been great, nice and quiet, as long as they're not touching a wall. On board adjustment is a nice touch.

LStorm
06/10/2012, 10:42 PM
I have two Sicce pumps. I use a 2.0 as my return pump, and I can't hear it running at all. However, I use a 3.0 to run my reactors and it's driving me crazy with the vibration/humming. Luck of the draw, maybe? Both pumps use the same body it seems.

Anyway, good luck, the eheim 1262 is a good pump by reputation.

Blayz77
06/11/2012, 01:50 AM
I have a 1262 on my 50g cube and find it to be pretty silent. If its humming I wouldnt know it because all i can hear is my drain going into the sump lol. im currently sitting about 13 feet away from tank and the only noise in room right now is me typing for reference. However if i stick my head into the stand i can hear a slight hum, but at that point im pretty much right ontop of the pump. so far i find the 1262 very reliable, quiet enough for me. and a good overall performer.

by the way why do some here say that a 1262 would be to much for a 65g? i have a 50 and its just fine..

SimonSKL
06/11/2012, 07:40 AM
I have been running a BlowHole 1450 pump since March. The pump is so quiet I have to put my hand on it to know it is running. It is also very efficient too and the price is right.

jrpark22000
06/11/2012, 09:26 AM
I have been running a BlowHole 1450 pump since March. The pump is so quiet I have to put my hand on it to know it is running. It is also very efficient too and the price is right.

Just a note, these are new pumps. They have not been proven in aquarium use. Nothing against reeflo, I run 2 of their gold series pumps.

James77
06/11/2012, 10:28 AM
Could you please share why you will prefer to go with an internal ? What brand/model ?

Less risk with an internal pump, no potentially leaky bulheads to deal with.

Im trying a Sicce 4.0, not too bad....overall a quiet pump, but not silent. Not sure if there is even a dead silent internal pump. Lagunas are also called quiet, but I have an ATB skimmer right now using a laguna motor block, and it is not dead silent. Though it is extremely quiet.

waffler
06/11/2012, 01:35 PM
I am also running the Sicce 4.0 as my return and the hum is not too bad when the stand is closed ( I am running this in the tank in my bedroom so noise was a big issue for me). The one thing I can't stand is the suction cup feet. As soon as I set the pump down they stick and there is no way to move the pump without the feet popping off so I am sure if I had a solution for this and had all 4 feet on it right then there would be even less hum.

revaltion131
06/11/2012, 02:07 PM
A 1262 is also a TON of pump for that size tank.

Take a look at the Tunze silence return pump or the maxi jet utility pumps. Theyre also good

I had the same pump on a 65 gallon, drilled and now I'm using it on my 125 currently (I know I need more flow). I had a noise problem, but it kept vibrating itself on the glass or into a corner, so the hum wasn't the problem, it was the pump hitting up against the glass. When I did some work on my refugium (home made and not well-done) and went to refill it, I screwed up and blew one of the baffles between the refugium area and the pump. A small layer of sand ended up under the pump. This was exactly what it needed to stop that racket. Aside from the powerheads, it's the quietest piece of equipment I have.

faisal629
06/12/2012, 12:16 AM
heard tunze silence are really quiet pumps, going to get one soon for my 60 cube

reeflo/sequence
06/15/2012, 08:59 AM
To JRPARK2200...we had over 40 evaluators testing the Blowholes on their tanks for over a year-we learned alot and corrected some errors-they HAVE been proven to work on SW systems

Landsailor
06/15/2012, 10:53 AM
I was about to ask why JRPARK2200 thought Blowholes were unproven since they were beta tested (and improved upon) and what specifically still needs to be done to them.

I am amazed at how silent the 1450 is.

kc350twin
06/15/2012, 10:59 AM
heard tunze silence are really quiet pumps, going to get one soon for my 60 cube

I can confirm that Tunze silence pumps are SUPER quiet. I have my tank 3 feet from my bed.

jrpark22000
06/15/2012, 01:48 PM
To JRPARK2200...we had over 40 evaluators testing the Blowholes on their tanks for over a year-we learned alot and corrected some errors-they HAVE been proven to work on SW systems

Respectfully, I disagree. For example, the reeflo Dart has field time and user base to have earned a broad long term record, it is proven. Blowholes have not been in the market long enough to reach this status.

I agree they are silent. Dead silent, lay your hand on them to feel they are on silent, and they have great head pressure. I’m curious about the seal keeping the water out of the impeller and magnet. Time is needed to see how it wears. It will fail, every pump seal fails. Other than the pump getting abnormally hot or seizing how does an owner know when the pump seal is failing?

reeflo/sequence
06/15/2012, 02:06 PM
thanks for the kind words about our Dart..one problem..the Blowhole is a magnetically driven pump=no seals..as far as longevity, whoile its true that time will tell
1- we back our pumps with a replacment guarantee
2- the components are of much higher quality than many of the others

jrpark22000
06/15/2012, 02:50 PM
Maybe I don't understand the construction of the removable stainless impeller unit at the heart of the blowhole. In this unit, how does the cavity which contains the impeller shaft and magnet seal itself from filling the water? Isn’t there a seal behind the plastic impeller? (This seal , if applicable, is the failure point I mention in the above post.)

OP, sorry for the off topic detour.

ReefABCs
11/18/2012, 03:51 PM
I would really like to see a return pump comparision on noise (real measurement in DB not just subjective and include solid plumping vs flex on a glass bottom sump in a cabinet), heat (how do DC vs AC pumps compare in heat?), flow, head pressure, power consumption, and realiability

Is this avail anywhere? If not it would be great to see an artical on it. Most comparisions are only pwr, flow and head preassure but they are missing other things that are important to us.

I have a mag 18 but I am also concerend it might be too loud for me once I set the tank up. I would be willing to pay an extra $100 for the right pump that surpassed all other in the above mentioned areas.

joe3196
11/18/2012, 05:04 PM
try the supreme mag drive sceries of pumps i use one and they are super quiet for there size.

RDuhb
11/18/2012, 05:16 PM
try the supreme mag drive sceries of pumps i use one and they are super quiet for there size.

My Mag 7 is kinda loud. The Quiet One 3000 I just bought is much better.

reeflo/sequence
11/19/2012, 06:44 AM
Here is one non-subjective fact...our Dart/Snapper and our HH/Barracuda pumps use low speed (1725 rpm) motors..nearly all other pumps use high speed (3000 rpm+) motors..these high rev pumps are necessarily noisier (you can see the rpms on the motor label