PDA

View Full Version : remove red slyme and cyano

captcha
05/08/2012, 05:11 PM
I have them since i started tank from begining using ATS..
but i always cutting scrub the algae from the screen if grew thick and left a little bit for grow later (maintenance).

I prefer using sunlight cause tank outside door, and that is story for green algae grow and grow.

Most of all cyano mix together with sand in subtrate tank looking more ugly :mad: and soft red slyme grow on ATS and sump :worried2: (attach to macro algae covering the surface)

Rare water change but always adding RO for water lost and very few feeding cause tank only 4 small fishes, lots mushrooms and less corals in 600 litres tank (include sump) and tank goes 2 years old from now

filter : phospat carbon + skimmer and two part dosing + iod.

PLEASE HELP !!

Sk8r
05/08/2012, 07:23 PM
Cyano (red slime) loves sunlight. It really won't hurt much, unless it blocks the light from corals. Nothing much eats it, and it does seem to be seasonal. You could try shrouding the tank in newspaper for a few days while running the skimmer at best efficiency, which might rid you of some of it, but as long as you have sunlight, you will tend to have some cyano outbreaks.

ryanb69
05/08/2012, 07:28 PM
Rare water change but always adding RO for water lost and very few feeding

PLEASE HELP !!

Evaporation only sucks water out of the tank, leaving behind all the other stuff (salf, phosphate, nitrate, ammonia). By only adding RO you never get rid of the unwanted substances.

It is important to do frequent scheduled water changes (weekly or biweekly) to get help maintain a low balance of all the unwanted tank substances.

A good water change schedule will definitely help some with the Red Slime Algae.

I would also try to remove as much as possible, continue to feed low, and make sure the RO water you are adding is 0ppm.

The key is to cut off the red algae from the source!

hollister
05/08/2012, 07:36 PM
Sunlight , tap water , excessive debris like fish waste and uneatin food , water flow , stock , all play a part in unwanted algea. All it takes is one of them and time.

captcha
05/09/2012, 12:59 AM
Cyano (red slime) loves sunlight. It really won't hurt much, unless it blocks the light from corals. Nothing much eats it, and it does seem to be seasonal. You could try shrouding the tank in newspaper for a few days while running the skimmer at best efficiency, which might rid you of some of it, but as long as you have sunlight, you will tend to have some cyano outbreaks.

suck! there is nothing i can do, cause i just have sunlight :hammer: cause i dont have hardy corals. Using light its just for better looks for eyes.
beside i cannot block the sunlight trough to the tank (above and front of the tank)

Test nitrate and phospat = 0 thats what make me confusing how the hell algaes bloom! :headwalls: