PDA

View Full Version : High pH - SPS burn

Rodrigo_BG
05/08/2012, 05:28 PM
Question: Can a high ph burn sps corals?

I started to introduce some frags in my new tank but all of them burned quickly. Tips first then all body tissue. All dead.

Tank is running for about 6 months. No corals. 3 fishes looking great.

ph is at 8.6 during the day and 8.5 to 8.4 during the night. (DA probe)

ALK: 8
Ca: 420
Mg:1200

no carbon

GFO + GAC

no signs of pests (dipped in coral-rx)

rogerwilco357
05/08/2012, 10:32 PM
wow does low ph cause these same issues? I had mine drop down to 7.5ph and man got some tissue loss on the base of 3 corals my tank is in the basement and just started using the air conditioner and bamm my ph has dropped from 8.23 to 7.56 but all winter with the furnace running no issues so wonder if my new salt was the problem since it was measuring 13.8dkh any way hope you get that ph in check i had to do 3 water changes with new salt about 20 gallons a piece and now all is perfect finally..full polyp extension using my old faithful salt (IO) Reef Crystals

bertoni
05/08/2012, 10:38 PM
8.6 is safe, although that's considered an upper limit. If the pH measurement is accurate, more aeration will help bring the pH down.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/09/2012, 04:54 AM
Are you using limewater? If not, that pH 8.6 is likely not accurate. This may help:

High pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm

I've never heard of low pH "burning" SPS corals, but it certainly can stress or even kill them if low enough. This may help:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

Rodrigo_BG
05/09/2012, 08:59 AM
8.6 is safe, although that's considered an upper limit. If the pH measurement is accurate, more aeration will help bring the pH down.

thats my thoughts... maybe my pH probe is not so accurate and although it shows 8.6 it could be higher.

But the question remain.. Can high pH burn sps tissue?

Randy no Lime... Biocalcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/09/2012, 11:02 AM
I've never heard of pH 8.6 or so cause a problem to corals. If the pH is high enough, obviously one can kill corals as in a massive limewater overdose.

But I guarantee you will never have pH high enough to hurt corals if you are not using limewater or other very high pH additives.

My point was your pH is likely lower than you report, not higher. Tanks don't reach pH 8.6 without very high pH additives being used.

bnumair
05/09/2012, 11:07 AM
DA ph probes drift a lot out of range, anyways ph of 8.6 is on the higher end but i dont think it will do damage.

Rodrigo_BG
05/09/2012, 03:13 PM
Randy no additives here, zero.

I made 2 pH tests today..

Tap water = 7.3

RO/DI water = 9.8 (???)

why ro/di water is that high?

redadeath
05/09/2012, 04:16 PM
what about lightning
what kinds of bulbs are you using

is it uv shield or not

is there any kind of uv-c radiation

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/09/2012, 05:29 PM
Randy no additives here, zero.

I made 2 pH tests today..

Tap water = 7.3

RO/DI water = 9.8 (???)

why ro/di water is that high?

Mine reads that way too, but you cannot read the pH of RO/DI water correctly with a kit or a meter, so there's no point. It is never the cause of low or high pH. :)

Also, with no additives, the pH is not that high assuming the water has any reasonable amount of aeration. There are hundreds of cases of reported high pH in this forum, and in the absence of high pH additives, it is always testing error.

Rodrigo_BG
05/09/2012, 09:48 PM
Randy you are right, my pH probe readings were wrong. So I recalibrate it with 2 solutions and now it shows more reliable readings. 8.2

So good to know that my pH level is ok, but sad to know that I still don't know why my frags burned.

Can a high or low potassium level kill/burn sps corals?

All start in the tips, then spread out to the entire body tissue.

Alk double checked = 8

No sings of pests.

plankton
05/09/2012, 10:15 PM
"no carbon

GFO + GAC
"
GAC=Granular Activated Carbon.

Other things that might burn SPS tissue are : changes in alk, very strong light compared to where the SPS came from, very high Ammonium, Nitrite or Nitrate, salinity swing.

What is your Salinity and what lights are you running compared to where the SPS came from?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/10/2012, 04:45 AM
I've not heard of potassium causing such issues.

Rodrigo_BG
05/10/2012, 02:29 PM
plankton salinity is stable at 1026.

ATI Power Module

Tropic Marin salt

Ammonium tested: 0

Randy tanks!

Keep looking for some clue...

thank u guys

Allmost
05/10/2012, 02:35 PM
are you using SL1 ?