PDA

View Full Version : clarkii pair killing my LTA?

maddmaxx
05/09/2012, 08:24 AM
I purchased a huge LTA about a month ago. wen fully open it is 8-9" wide. it picked a spot in my tank and was fine for weeks. recently I purchased a pair of clarkiis. immediately they went to the nem. all was fine for a week or so. then the nem started moving then shrinking then I noticed lil cuts on and around the foot. I figured it was cuz of the clowns biting it. wen I looked closer I cud see lil things like a small intestine from the cuts on it. so I got home from work yesterday and the nem is completely closed. So I removed it and put it in my sump. within an hr it was open. hopefully the 75w 6500k sump bulb rite above it will be strong enuff to revive it...my question is. if it makes it in the sump to back to healthy, how do I poss reintroduce it into the display tank wit out the clowns killing it?

shred5
05/09/2012, 08:41 AM
You sure it is from the clowns? The foot is probably the biggest problem I see with anemones, they are torn in collection and are not always evident at first. It is the first thing I look for when buying a anemone but you cant always find the damage. If the foot is damaged they will slowly deteriorate and in most case don't survive.

Some clowns can be ruff with a anemone but they don't usually go at the foot.

Ltas also require a deep sand bed.

maddmaxx
05/09/2012, 09:01 AM
I inspected the foot wen buying it. and all was good. the only reason I think its the clowns is cuz they removed all sand around the nem to pure glass. and they swim and push against the foot along wit the tentacles,the nem was fine for weeks until the clowns went in. only reason why I say they are biting it is cuz I seen them bite the tentacles.. I was told from someone that the open wounds cud be from stress. And to leave the nem in the tank. but honestly it looked like $hit yesterday and within an hr in the sump it looked a lot better....

NatureNerd
05/10/2012, 09:16 PM
I inspected the foot wen buying it. and all was good. the only reason I think its the clowns is cuz they removed all sand around the nem to pure glass. and they swim and push against the foot along wit the tentacles,the nem was fine for weeks until the clowns went in. only reason why I say they are biting it is cuz I seen them bite the tentacles.. I was told from someone that the open wounds cud be from stress. And to leave the nem in the tank. but honestly it looked like $hit yesterday and within an hr in the sump it looked a lot better....

That is odd behavior. How deep was the sand bed? There is no way clowns could have done that in my tank. The sand would just keep sliding back into the hole. My sand is around five inches deep and medium size aragonite. Describe the sand bed please. I can imagine foot damage from the clowns in the case you describe with most of the sand cleared away.

maddmaxx
05/12/2012, 04:28 PM
That is odd behavior. How deep was the sand bed? There is no way clowns could have done that in my tank. The sand would just keep sliding back into the hole. My sand is around five inches deep and medium size aragonite. Describe the sand bed please. I can imagine foot damage from the clowns in the case you describe with most of the sand cleared away.

Where it was, the sand was about 3-3.5". and it tucked itself in a cave, half the foot was on rock and half in the sand. it was like that for weeks, until i added the clowns.....sad to report, the nem is no longer with us, i came home from work the other day, and guts were spilled out of every hole on the thing, the head was completely deflated and just guts everywhere, so he got flushed!

maddmaxx
05/12/2012, 04:31 PM
That is odd behavior.
i was told that the clowns cud poss have wanted the nem to relocate cuz of another pair of clowns that was close to the nem. im not sure how accurate that cud be, but kinda makes sense to someone that isnt that experienced with clowns+nems pairing..and in that they stressed the nem out to death, literally

james-lee
05/14/2012, 05:49 AM
I purchased a nice purple lta that was very healthy. Acclimated it according to the book. Dropped it in on the right side of tank and it did great for two days.... Then my 4" GSM clown found it and started hosting. It was nibbling on the tentacles and pushing against its foot. Finally the lta released its grip and the clown was trying into the rock work. I went to work and when I got home I found my lta so beat up the foot was torn in multiple areas with its guts spilling out. Needless to say my maroon loved it to death. The other clown pair theory might be true as I also have another perculavin the tank so it have trying to hide the poor nem.