PDA

View Full Version : Drilling options

Merrell056
05/09/2012, 10:01 PM
Hello everyone. I'm going to start my first saltwater tank this year and I'm very excited to do so. I'm an experienced with freshwater and have a 40g and 20gL tanks that have been running for years.

I'm going to be starting a 40g Breeder tank with a refugium/sump system. My first question is how I should drill the tank. Is it possible to drill into the bottom and have an overflow in one of the back corners or does the drill have to be in one of the sides? I want to have the tank sitting completely against the wall because it's going to be build in a custom desk so drilling in the bottom is preferable.

I would also like to confirm that I do need a protein skimmer for a fish only tank. It's one of the more expensive things needed for the tank so I wanted to make sure that for a fish only tank that I do need one. Thanks!

Merrell056
05/09/2012, 11:22 PM
I meant to say I'm planning a fish only with live rock (FOWLER) tank.

IridescentLily
05/10/2012, 12:16 AM
I had a protein skimmer with the fowlr tank i had. I highly suggest getting one.
Drilling depends on whether it's tempered glass on the bottom. I'd ask that one question in either the 'DIY" section on rc, or the 'reef discussion' section here. You'll get more responses from experienced folks.
:)

sponger0
05/10/2012, 06:20 AM
I believe the bottom is tempered so you cant drill that. The back isnt tempered....so that would be fine to drill. My 40 breeder is drilled on the back. 2 1 inch drains and a 3/4 return. Over flow on each side and return on the middle.

If I were to redo it, I would make a single drain 1 1/2 inch on the left and return on the right 3/4. Just my $.02

Ronic
05/10/2012, 09:21 AM
The bottom of my 40b has been drilled, so not all are tempered. I also can't tell who the manufacture of the tank is. I would check the website of the tank to find out if it is.

Reeferz412
05/10/2012, 10:45 AM
Like previously said, check with the company that made the tank or if there is a sticker on the bottom that lists if it is tempered. If it is tempered on the bottom and not on the back, you need to drill the back if you want an overflow.

Merrell056
05/10/2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the information. I'll have to find a tank that is not tempered so that I can drill the bottom. I'll continue in the DIY forum. Thanks!