PDA

View Full Version : old pickle barrels.

nuch
05/10/2012, 07:29 AM
So i picked up 2 barrels from craigslist and they smell like pickles. Not a strong order but enough to know they were used for pickles. Should i scrub them or just rinse. I want to use them for ro and salt mix.

dlp211
05/10/2012, 07:31 AM
Rinse them really well, but considering how pickles are made, I don't see this being a problem.

spieszak
05/10/2012, 07:39 AM
Anytime you use something that is used you are taking a risk. I agree that "pickle juice" probably isn't that high a risk, but it is a risk.. (now that that cautionary stuff is out of the way) I'd take a look at the side effects of dosing vinegar, and keep an eye out for those things...(since besides cucumbers, I would think vinegar is the second most used ingredient for most pickles)

bnumair
05/10/2012, 08:33 AM
i would wash it out with hot water and rinse is t well and use it i dont see a problem. u can use vinegar water if u really want to use a chemical.

cphelps80
05/10/2012, 09:18 AM
When I moved my tank from the U.K. to Belgium I used a used barrel for transporting the water. To ensure there was minimum risk I scrubbed the barrel with warm soap water, rinsed and then used baby bottle sterilising tablets accortding to the instructions. When we arrived 16 hours later I used the same water and there was no problem at all. Adter two days the coral was all open again and it was the same ol tank.