PDA

View Full Version : Local pet shop

countrykat
05/10/2012, 06:00 PM
Just got back an hour ago from the LFS. Told them I was getting ready to add GFO in a reactor and asked if they had any AK buffer in case mine drops. He walked away to ask his manager, a couple minutes later he came back and said I should add some Texas Holey Rock. Now the rock was 10' away from where we were standing and it had the fine price of 8.99/lb. Well, all I could do was to say I had babout 50 lbs at home and walk away.

I just find it totally awesome about the knowledge that is shared on this website.

Thanks to everyone who shares what they know.

kingevil
05/10/2012, 06:10 PM
should have told them that you have the holey rock from maine and it's way better than the texas stuff!!!

James77
05/10/2012, 06:22 PM
Just got back an hour ago from the LFS. Told them I was getting ready to add GFO in a reactor and asked if they had any AK buffer in case mine drops. He walked away to ask his manager, a couple minutes later he came back and said I should add some Texas Holey Rock. Now the rock was 10' away from where we were standing and it had the fine price of 8.99/lb. Well, all I could do was to say I had babout 50 lbs at home and walk away.

I just find it totally awesome about the knowledge that is shared on this website.

Thanks to everyone who shares what they know.

Baking soda will take care of buffering your tank just fine ;).

countrykat
05/10/2012, 07:24 PM
Baking soda will take care of buffering your tank just fine ;).

Thats what I'm talking about. I could have spent a $100 on texas holey rock or I could spend $2 on baking soda. :D

Is there a certain amount / gallon?

agruetz
05/10/2012, 07:29 PM
A little goes a long way. When I was doing baking soda I always added a little and then tested and then a little more. Then marked that box as X amount would raise it by X just in case there was every a difference in the mixture from box to box.

tkeracer619
05/10/2012, 08:45 PM
Don't be scared to educate the poor local fish guy.

Instead of saying you had 50lbs at home you should have said "why? it won't do anything. I need buffer, you know, baking soda to raise dkh."

You might get an attitude after that but he clearly doesn't know. Next time someone asks for that he is going to look like a tool all over again. Could have done him a favor ;)

a.browning
05/11/2012, 06:25 AM
Man, that's ridiculous! It's crazy what people will tell you to do sometimes. For reference, in my 55, 1tsp of baking soda raises alk by almost exactly 1dkh for me. Maybe that can help you find a starting point.

jerpa
05/11/2012, 06:35 AM
A little goes a long way. When I was doing baking soda I always added a little and then tested and then a little more. Then marked that box as X amount would raise it by X just in case there was every a difference in the mixture from box to box.

Man, that's ridiculous! It's crazy what people will tell you to do sometimes. For reference, in my 55, 1tsp of baking soda raises alk by almost exactly 1dkh for me. Maybe that can help you find a starting point.

Here is a calculator to eliminate any guesswork:

Reef Calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html)

sponger0
05/11/2012, 06:48 AM

This is correct. 1 teaspoon of baking soda to raise 50 gallons by 1 dkh

jerseygurl
05/11/2012, 07:19 AM
I know a lot of people use baking soda with success and tha'ts great, it's your tank have at it.

But, I'd recommend using a good marine alk buffer instead. Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate, that's it. Whereas a good alk buffer is a balanced mixture of sodium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium borate and other salts. They are mixed in the right ratio to insure a balanced rise in your tank water's alkalinity and pH.

We've recently switched to Aquavitro eight.four and it really works well.