PDA

View Full Version : Bug Bombing house what about fish?

fishymann
05/10/2012, 08:21 PM
We need to bug bomb our kitchen this weekend and I am wondering what people do with their fish? I can close up the room that the tank is in, and open the windows for fresh air. Can the chemicals do any damage? Should I just run some carbon and let the windows stay open with a fan running?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

steelwrap
05/10/2012, 08:38 PM
If it was Me I would open window,run carbon,put a towel at bottom of door to seal room and cover tank real well.

dublo8
05/10/2012, 09:27 PM
If it was Me I would open window,run carbon,put a towel at bottom of door to seal room and cover tank real well.

This. Plus I would seal off any vents and run your skimmer airline out a window so it only draws air in from outside. I just did a re-inspection of a home we recently tented and gassed for termites. He had the tank wrapped in plastic, taped up any air gaps and his skimmer line running through a hole he drilled in the wall. Miraculously, everything survived the onslaught.

fishymann
05/11/2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys will do. Thankfully just doing a basic bombing in a separate room that I can fully close off and I will towel around the door opening and get all the fresh air into that room. Much appreciated.

nine8taco
05/11/2012, 04:45 PM
Just be careful it would really suck to lose your livestock because of some
Dang bugs

Mark 75g
05/11/2012, 04:51 PM
I would go to home depot and get the large plastic drop cloth. Shut down all pumps and. Cover the entire tank and tape around bottom to seal off. Get a fan and have good circulation. I had a 75 gallon that crashed when I was spray painting in another room. Lost most of my fish and my tank pretty much died.

KBear
05/11/2012, 04:56 PM
I would go to home depot and get the large plastic drop cloth. Shut down all pumps and. Cover the entire tank and tape around bottom to seal off. Get a fan and have good circulation. I had a 75 gallon that crashed when I was spray painting in another room. Lost most of my fish and my tank pretty much died.

Ok, I've got to ask, why would you shut down all the pumps? That's a death sentence for the tank.

Mark 75g
05/11/2012, 05:03 PM
No because if u leave the pumps running u are circulating the air into the tank. So if there is any bug spray in the room it will get sucked into the tankI shut my tank down for and hour to do maintenance and nothing ever happens.

fishymann
05/11/2012, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking of maybe turning off my sump but leaving my power heads in the tank on that way the water that is in the sump isn't transporting any of the chemicals? If that even makes sense.

eyesinthedrk
05/11/2012, 05:04 PM
Shutting down the pumps minimizes gas exchange. I would do the same. Wont kill the tank if it's only for a few hours.

Are you at all worried about bugs running to un bombed rooms?

KBear
05/11/2012, 05:08 PM
The bug bombs I used to use were 24 hours, so I was assuming that would be the time we were looking at. If it's only for a few hours shutting down the pumps makes sense.

Mark 75g
05/11/2012, 05:09 PM
Shut everything down. It will not hurt ur tank. Those power heads will still circulate the water and the air. Wrap it good. Trust me. I lost a 75 gallon be ause of over spray from another room.

EricSIny
05/11/2012, 05:49 PM
About 6 months ago my new puppy had feas, we also had to bomb the house.. I used the aerisol spray bombs,carpet powder, and fabric spray.

All products were used in my living room, where my tanks are located.
I took my time and I used big black garbage bags and cut them to size of my tanks using masking tape to join and seal pieces. I also draped some towels and blankets over the bags for added protection, shut down return pumps and just used the powerheads. About 15hrs after the bombing i removed the covers and all livestock was just as healty as before and the fleas gone :dance:

HTH

hollister
05/11/2012, 07:59 PM
What type of bugs. I would get Boric Acid , its a white powder and hit every open hole crack and crevis. It might take a few weeks but works well without covering all your stuff with a chemical.

Nuclear_Glitter
05/11/2012, 08:10 PM
Depending on the type of bugs they are there is a lot of stuff you can do that's not bombing. You can get little traps that go in the corner of your home. Also, if you take Listerine (yes the mouth wash) and pour some on a wash cloth and rub it where the bugs are, or where they enter it repels them well. Spraying lemon juice also helps. You can put this anywhere to get rid of bugs; it's especially good on fleas. If it's an ant infestation you can get a cucumber and rub it on the counter, floors, near cracks, and in front of door ways and it throws the ants sensor system off, so they stay away from it.

Now, I know it sounds like I've had loads of bug problems or something but I just happen to know that weird stuff.

However, if you have to stick with the bombing then definitely do everything that has been recommended and absolutely best of luck. really hope nothing goes wrong in the process.

fishymann
05/13/2012, 06:54 AM
We have to bomb unfortunately. They are 3-4 hour bombs not 24 hour. Should I make new water and do a water change after the bombing as well in case any chemicals do make it into the tank?

pco1988
05/13/2012, 07:44 AM
Just make sure you don't do too much. Don't change too many variables or you might end up doing more harm then good. If you want to do a water change make sure everything you use is not around. Like you water and piping. I would hate for you to get the chemicals in the new water or tubing.

Chemicals and fish tanks are a nightmare...

ken55
05/13/2012, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately I had to do the same thing several years ago because of flea's. I shut down everything and TIGHTLY covered tank with those large lawn and leaf bags and lots and lots of tape.

Those bug bombs are designed so the chemicals will work their way into everything. Take all precautions as stated from the others.

I wouldn't worry too much about a total shutdown even if upwards of a full day. Couldn't be any worse than a power failure. Your livestock may not be happy about it but at least they will be alive.

HTH

Playa-1
05/13/2012, 08:42 AM
I would look for another method to go after the bugs.

SeedlessOne
05/13/2012, 09:29 AM
What type of bugs are we talking about? Who is "bombing" the house? Are these over the counter pesticides?

If a pro is, we are not talking a full on fumigation are we?

fishymann
05/13/2012, 08:07 PM
over the counter bombs for roaches

Mr. Demeanor
05/13/2012, 11:09 PM
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=boric+acid+roaches&oq=boric+acid&aq=1&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l4.0.0.1.488.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0.3EQJAGEGk_c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3bab4e5a695f4992&biw=1138&bih=482