PDA

View Full Version : Leaveing hobbie :(

TX..r33f
05/10/2012, 08:54 PM
:headwallblue: So being 16 i have very little funds for this hobbie and things were'nt going good. i had a 45g setup with 10g sump. i kept coral no problem but fish died all the time. I would say over $200 justo n fish and all to die at diffrent times. I thought i was up to the challenge but looks like i wasnt:headwalls:. Alot of people have been helpful on this site so thanks! Like i said im 16 and haveing a minimum payed job and paying car insurence and some to mess with i had no money left. I dont know what i got my self into. i love the saltwater tanks and know alot of things about it.
Thanks again for the help in my short time in the hobbi :wavehand:

sorry i suck at spelling

Joe0813
05/10/2012, 08:57 PM
were you QTing fish?

Larz_1
05/10/2012, 08:58 PM
Hopefully you will jump back in later, when $/time/life permits.

tkeracer619
05/10/2012, 09:05 PM
Sell all your stuff and set back up when your ready. This hobby can be done cheap but it usually requires a lot of experience.

Don't fret man. Work hard and stay in school. You will be back in no time.

BIG_KAHUNA
05/10/2012, 09:27 PM
lol I remember my primary hobby when I was 16 :smokin:

tkeracer619
05/10/2012, 09:35 PM
Also with spelling... I am terrible at it.

The thing that helped me the best was paying attention to Firefox's spell check. Instead of letting it correct itself with the right click I try to work on it until I get it right. Eventually it adds up and you find yourself having to correct words less often. I'm 32 and still do it daily, have learning disabilities in written language, ADD, ect ect. English is not my second language but it might as well have been :lol:. Those who get it easily have no idea how difficult it is for some of us. Don't get discouraged. You might very well end up better prepared at life then those who don't have to try.

Reefahholic
05/10/2012, 09:47 PM
Your young, Not well funded yet, and have plenty of time to research ICK and other fish diseases while you're in college.

Just think...your next tank will be awesome.

Did I say "not well funded?" Ha...I don't think any of us are with the current economy. :(

Good luck to you my friend! Get a great degree that pays well.

jhawkor
05/10/2012, 09:49 PM
Good luck. I had to take a break during High School, too. I didn't have enough time or money with school, sports, and friends. My tank was suffering, so I tore it down for a while.

Reefahholic
05/10/2012, 09:49 PM
BTW....where r u at in the Houston area? I'm between Galveston and Downtown. Clear Lake/ League City area...

Playa-1
05/10/2012, 09:54 PM
Maybe now you can use your money for spelling lessons and that may lead to a better job and then you will be back in the hobby before you know it. Good luck and we will see you next time around ;)

Detroit_306
05/10/2012, 10:33 PM
**** I couldn't imagine trying this hobby at 16

Reefahholic
05/11/2012, 01:42 AM
If I were you, I would do a freshwater tank while in school. You can enjoy that as well.

maybe a chilid tank

geemanaz
05/11/2012, 04:04 AM
also with spelling... I am terrible at it.

The thing that helped me the best was paying attention to firefox's spell check. Instead of letting it correct itself with the right click i try to work on it until i get it right. Eventually it adds up and you find yourself having to correct words less often. I'm 32 and still do it daily, have learning disabilities in written language, add, ect ect. English is not my second language but it might as well have been :lol:. Those who get it easily have no idea how difficult it is for some of us. Don't get discouraged. You might very well end up better prepared at life then those who don't have to try.

+1

STEELERFAN747
05/11/2012, 05:59 AM
Do not feel bad, this hobby is hard enough when you are 40 let alone 16. Just concentrate on school for now. That time goes by so fast you will be done with it before you know and back in this beautiful life, money sucking hobby of ours. Lol take the time off to do a bit of research to try and figure out what went wrong and save up a little bit drop when you drop come back you can drop things right.

Good luck and God bless