PDA

View Full Version : Adding Calcium and Alkakinity at the same time ?

sig_1959
05/11/2012, 06:45 AM
I add 60ml of each (2 part solution) on the 220g total of water on the daily basis. I just add these slowly to the sump, but I was told that by adding them at the same time the result of adding is Null, since one liquid cancels out effect of the other.
Please advice .
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/11/2012, 06:55 AM
How slow?

The concern is that if the clouds of highly concentrated solutions mix before being sufficiently diluted, you may get more unnecessary precipitation of calcium carbonate.

Are you doing it manually or with a dosing pump?

sig_1959
05/11/2012, 07:10 AM
How slow?

The concern is that if the clouds of highly concentrated solutions mix before being sufficiently diluted, you may get more unnecessary precipitation of calcium carbonate.

Are you doing it manually or with a dosing pump?

I am doing it manually, just pouring liquid in and I think i got "..unnecessary precipitation" , because as I started to do it my pump is covered in calcium and I got calcium on the heaters

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/11/2012, 07:44 AM
Yes, that's a sign. It can also happen from the alk part alone if you do not mix it in quickly enough before it hits the pump. Try doing them at different times, and maybe increasing the mixing in the sump. :)

hkgar
05/11/2012, 02:33 PM
Personally, I would invest in a good CA reactor and eliminate the worry. With the size of your tank and the amount you are dosing, I think the CA reactor would soon pay for itself.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/11/2012, 03:07 PM
Personally, I would invest in a good CA reactor and eliminate the worry. With the size of your tank and the amount you are dosing, I think the CA reactor would soon pay for itself.

FWIW, a DIY two part is not going to cost very much, and has potential advantages over a CaCO3/CO2 reactor, such as pH boosting effects. :)

sig_1959
05/11/2012, 07:27 PM
Thank you guys. Very appreciate your help