PDA

View Full Version : Polyps not extending

lmsmith
05/11/2012, 07:06 AM
I have some polyps. They're not extending their little feathery bits and I'm concerned this means they aren't eating.

They have been living in a holding tank with substandard lighting for about 8 months and I've just moved them into my (newly setup with LR from my larger, old tank) tank yesterday, but none of them have extended yet. They haven't extended in my holding tank for a month or so.

Any ideas what I can do to help? More light? Less light? Target feeding? Are they gonners?

I've been putting off killing these aipstasia as I don't want to further upset my polyps. Also, if anyone can give me more info on what they are, I'd be grateful.

http://img.tapatalk.com/cbadcbb5-0eb0-3325.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/cbadcbb5-0ef3-a65c.jpg

sponger0
05/11/2012, 07:32 AM
I would kill off the aiptasia

Saltybucket
05/11/2012, 07:36 AM
Try a higher placement in your tank

Bowels
05/11/2012, 08:52 AM
I would try some small pieces of mysis shrimp and target feed em, see if that perks em up, and def kill the aptasia, I would suggest boiling RO water and use a syringe to inject the boiling water into the aptasia's mouth. I found this kills them the best without making other corals angry like vinegar or Lime juice would.

skidoctor
05/11/2012, 10:01 AM
Keep target feeding. They have just gone through the stress of new lighting. Be patient, they will open. They look way better than mine did for the first couple of days with better lighting. And yes, get rid of the aptasia- they're competing and will overtake the tank if you don't.

Uncle Salty 05
05/11/2012, 10:10 AM
What are the parameters on the tank you moved them to?
What kind of lighting does it have, and are the bulbs replaced regularly?
It might just take time for them to acclimate.

lmsmith
05/11/2012, 01:33 PM
They're under T5s, and I haven't tested since I moved them. I'd imagine nitrate is <0.15 as that's what it always was before I moved it and I've essentially done a 100% WC and have no fish in there right now.

I'll kill the aipstasia and target feed. If they still aren't looking ok, I'll move them a bit higher, thanks :)