PDA

View Full Version : Moving questions (How do i?)

Pylon
05/11/2012, 09:39 AM
In two months I will be moving and at this point have two plans of action.
Here's what I running now. I have a jbj 28gal HQI living in that is some assorted mushrooms, two clown fish, one YW Goby that is paired with a pistol shrimp.
The drive to my new place will be roughly 30 minutes so i'm not too worried about the fish. I plan on throwing them in a 5gal bucket and taking them to the new place. I'm not sure if I can use the same process with the Pistol Shrimp and the Goby though being that they're paired IDK if it would be bad for that if I transported them sepretly or if they should stay together.

Anyway, here are my two potential plans for the new location.

First would to be a 20 gal wal-mart setup and run that with some alterations to the hood so salt will not get in it.

Second plan is to but a cheaper ten gallon wal-mart set-up for the new location and keep them in that temporarily while I clean the heck out of my existing tank and then bring that over about a month after the move in date.

A side question is that I absoultly love my rock I have in there now, most are complely covered in purple but in the last few months i've had a nasty algae breakout in my tank and it's starting to grow on my rocks.

I'd love to use these rocks in the new tank but I dont know how about completly killing the algae from the rocks.. would just submerging them in a covered bucket with a airstone work?

I only plan to stay in this new location for about two years, it is by no means a perminate location so I dont know if going with the first plan would be best, I also dont want to cause too much stress on the livestock by switching tanks on them three times with in the period of a month

Personally I kind of like the iea of the second plan, he 20 gallon set up because I'm not a big fan of the filtration system in the nano and it is a pain in the *** to clean.

So I suppose any advice would be great as well as tips and tricks on catching my Pistol Shrimp, he stays under his rocks alot unless he's moving the sandbed (which he does while I'm out) or when he's feeding but he's lightning quick on backing into his hole at the first sign of trouble.
Plus any tricks on transporting the fish would be amazing.. all I really have at my disposal is 2 5 gal buckets which I normally mix water in and some dry rock and dry sand.

I know there's alot of questions here, but I really look forward to and help and advice that may be given.

Thanks in advance.