PDA

View Full Version : Only one fish showing signs of it, worth doing tank transfer method?

windowlicker916
05/11/2012, 10:21 PM
(typo in title, meant ich not it)

I haven't introduced anything new and my parameters are good and stable.

My kole tang is now covered in white spots with none of my other fish showing visable signs.

I know my main tank is infected but treating my whole tank will be impossible for me.

Is it still worth it to treat the kole to give him some reprieve amd then put him back?

Also to confirm it is ich can I check him at like 6am and see if the white dots are gone like ich should do?

Thanks

snorvich
05/12/2012, 07:10 AM
Because of the nature of the life cycle, ich will come and go as it has a need to reproduce. Visible symptoms as a consequence will also come and go.

MrTuskfish
05/12/2012, 07:15 AM
If you won't properly treat all your fish; I just can't offer an opinion on treating just one, it just isn't an option, IMO.

Andrew
05/12/2012, 11:03 AM
Treating only the kole tang would be a waste of time. You have to kill the parasite in the maintak by removing the fish as they will not thrive without a host. Leaving any fish in the display tank will only make your problems worse as they divide over the next couple weeks it and you will put your fish's health at risk and will more than likly lose them.

windowlicker916
05/12/2012, 03:25 PM
This poses a interesting dilemma for me.

I am setting up a new tank in the next two months. I was going to have the new tank cycle while keeping the fish in the old tank. It would obviously be foolish of me to transfer my livestock and such into the next tank without treatment.

Not sure how I could maintain 9 fish in a QT for 6-8 weeks to make sure they are clean and to make sure my old tank is clean before moving rocks/sand/etc.

Perhaps my best bet is to sell them to someone that already has ich? Plenty of people out there that deal with it and just try to make sure their fish are healthy.

Anyhow, any suggestions?

MrTuskfish
05/13/2012, 10:17 AM
This poses a interesting dilemma for me.

I am setting up a new tank in the next two months. I was going to have the new tank cycle while keeping the fish in the old tank. It would obviously be foolish of me to transfer my livestock and such into the next tank without treatment.

Not sure how I could maintain 9 fish in a QT for 6-8 weeks to make sure they are clean and to make sure my old tank is clean before moving rocks/sand/etc.

Perhaps my best bet is to sell them to someone that already has ich? Plenty of people out there that deal with it and just try to make sure their fish are healthy.

Anyhow, any suggestions?
Maybe take up stamp collecting?

Most of the people that "deal" with ich on a regular basis probably account for much of the high turn-over in our hobby; and all the cheap equipment on Craigslist. The number of threads in the disease forum from folks who "deal'' with ich shows just how lousy that approach is; for both the hobbyist and the fish. People "deal" with, mangy flea-infested , or heartworm-infected dogs too. I don't preach about our responsibilities as hobbyists very often; but I've always just assumed that being responsible for the live critters you own comes with the territory.

spieszak
05/13/2012, 10:33 AM
Move your corals and inverts to the new tank asap, treat your display..
and for the love of fish, don't pawn off your sick fish on someone new, or someone who thinks they can live with ich. Its a slow painful death sentence.

spieszak
05/13/2012, 10:33 AM
Move your corals and inverts to the new tank asap, treat your display..
and for the love of fish, don't pawn off your sick fish on someone new, or someone who thinks they can live with ich. Its a slow painful death sentence.

00Warpig00
05/13/2012, 11:31 AM
you have the ability to have your old AND new tanks both running? I would take a different approach if how long they BOTH remain running doesn't matter.

I would prepare and cycle my new DT. While cycling new DT I would QT/Treat a few fish at a time in a QT tank. Follow Crypto stickies for Tank Transfer/Copper/Hypo whichever you choose. after successfull treatment I would move treated fish to new DT and start treatment of my next batch of fish in my QT. Repeat until all fish are gone from old tank and treated and moved to new tank. When you take last fish out of old tank start 10 week fallow period leaving corals and inverts in old tank. Crypto needs FISH to live. after tank is finishes fallow I would move corals/inverts. I would do the corals last so there was no chance of any remaining crypto going into the new tank on day one before a fish is even put in. Or put coral/inverts in first and leave new tank fallow for 10 weeks just to be sure no crypto is alive in the new tank that may have hitched a ride.

Nick

windowlicker916
05/14/2012, 06:28 PM
Good advice, I think I will do the following unless there is any critique or better suggestions:

Start cycling new tank, I will be using new rock because it is a larger tank and I have specific ideas on my rock scape.

To easily manager I will move 3 fish (got 9 or so) to a small tanks or buckets and start the transfer method to get rid of the ich. I will move them to the DT after and start the next batch.

Once I get the last batch of fish out of the old tank sit with the coral for 10 weeks as suggested.

This will work great because it gives me more time to get funds for my new lighting and to make sure to not transfer my corals over with ich attached.

Wish there was a easier way to QT future purchases, I will need to come up with something.