PDA

View Full Version : Gorgonia ??!!??

Mpfaff77
05/13/2012, 09:40 AM
I have a gorgonia and not sure if sps but it was in my refugium under standard flouro bulb. Opened every day for weeks. So I finally made a frag rock and moved in to DT. Been there for 2days and not opening at all. I have power compact lighting. Tank been setup for 6 years. Moved once.

Frag front left.

JMCAquarium
05/13/2012, 08:23 PM
If i remeber right they like low light and "dirty" water for feeding. Dont hold me to it though I've never kept them just heard the stories of others dieing on them over and over.

tomservo
05/13/2012, 10:12 PM
Gorgonia are NPS corals, it probably did well in the refugium eating various critters that live there. You need to feed them or they will starve.

StephLionfish
05/14/2012, 12:04 AM
I don't think all Gorgs are NPS.

I also don't think food would e the issue if it refuses to open. I'd say tissue loss would be a result in not enough food.

Check your params. Maybe it is just acclimating slowly?

trinidiver
05/14/2012, 05:55 AM
I have a gorgonia and not sure if sps but it was in my refugium under standard flouro bulb. Opened every day for weeks. So I finally made a frag rock and moved in to DT. Been there for 2days and not opening at all. I have power compact lighting. Tank been setup for 6 years. Moved once.

Frag front left.

I have one of the same along with another type for just over 4mths and have never fed mine. Sometimes for no apparent reason it closes up for maybe half a day or more. I've ssen it do this once or twice a week. Strange thing also is that it might be closed during the day and open during the night. I started with 1 branch about 5-6", now its 3 branches over 8" long

cec09
05/14/2012, 07:16 AM
It is photosynthetic. They adjust to changes slowly. It will probably slime up and shed then will be fine in the next few days. i have several photo gorgs. They dont mind high lighting just dont "need" alot. PCs will be fine for it
John

Potsy
05/14/2012, 10:17 AM
My photosynthetic purple plume gorgonian will close up for a week or more from time to time, and then open up, shedding it's outer layer. Photosynthetic gorgonia like strong water flow and bright illumination. Many of them are from very shallow, turbulent waters.

Mpfaff77
05/14/2012, 02:21 PM
Ok. Thanks for input. I'll just let it go. Still hasn't opened up. My refugium is very slow flow so I also kept in low flow in display. I'll give it another few days. If not opened I'll point returns at it to give higher water motion.

SDguy
05/21/2012, 03:47 PM
I have that same gorg (purple ribbon - Pterogorgia species). It is photosynthetic. Mine does very well in high light and high flow with no additional feeding. I've had it for several years now, and in fact had to frag it this weekend because it was starting to touch other corals...

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/For%20sale/IMG_0606.jpg

SDguy
05/21/2012, 06:40 PM
Disregard my post... I saw your pics all wrong at work :) Not the same as mine... still photosynthetic though.

jagr200
05/30/2012, 09:36 PM
I've heard if you take them out of water and expose them to air they will die off. Is that true?

trinidiver
05/30/2012, 09:57 PM
I've heard if you take them out of water and expose them to air they will die off. Is that true?

I know sponges are like that for sure. I have 4 types and all were exposed to air when i transferred them from the bag to the DT and are doing great, and thats over 6mths now. I maybe wrong but maybe others can chime in about the air thing

mtcoins123
05/30/2012, 10:01 PM
I have about seven of those gorgonias and they do very well in my DT had them over a year from florida live rock dot com they do sometimes close up for a day or five when a change occurs be patient and they will re-emerge mine always do and they have suffered some rough handeling mine are right out under the 20k mh and love it nevr feed them special and they do grow quite well

kichimark
05/30/2012, 10:05 PM
I've heard if you take them out of water and expose them to air they will die off. Is that true?`

I have removed gorgs from my tank and exposed them to air while transferring them or fragging. No ill effects I have noticed. I believe that is only the case with sponges.

I have the same gorg and it is definitely photosynthetic.