PDA

View Full Version : GFO Reactors

LinkinReef
05/13/2012, 01:19 PM
I'm currently using a BRS and a TLF 550 reactor along with GFO High Capacity Ferric Oxide from BRS. The media always seems to get clogged and it doesn't tumble after a couple of days. I'm using a MJ1200.

Is there any other reactor I could use that tumbles the media a little bit better without it clogging?

shifty51008
05/13/2012, 03:30 PM
avast reactors work great for me

WaVe RiDeR
05/13/2012, 08:03 PM
it may not be the reactor, could be a number of things like for example one is that BRS GFO media absolutely sucks its cheap and you get alot but you get what you pay for thats just my 2 cent but maybe it works good for you sometime, second is try turning your flow up , just some ideas before you go drop 40- 60 bucks on a new reactor.

James77
05/13/2012, 08:12 PM
BRS GFO media absolutely sucks its cheap and you get alot but you get what you pay for thats just my.

You have some info to back that up?

"you get what you pay for" has been taken advantage of in this hobby, a good example would be baking soda sold as buffer for X markup. Granular ferric oxide is granualr ferric oxide. Some of the best carbon is ROX carbon used by BRS, compare that to the garbage that is packaged with pretty pictures and sold to aquarists.

WaVe RiDeR
05/13/2012, 08:19 PM
You have some info to back that up?

"you get what you pay for" has been taken advantage of in this hobby, a good example would be baking soda sold as buffer for X markup. Granular ferric oxide is granualr ferric oxide. Some of the best carbon is ROX carbon used by BRS, compare that to the garbage that is packaged with pretty pictures and sold to aquarists.

yeah.. personal use for a good 7 months

James77
05/13/2012, 08:31 PM
yeah.. personal use for a good 7 months

Compared to what? What results do you have showing their product stinks compared to another comparable product? Were you expecting it to do something that did not happen?

It would be far more convincing were you able to say that you used BRS GFO and had x amount of phosphate reduction, but it was blasted away when you had X amount of takedown using another GFO. Were you testing for phosphate and what test kits were used?

johnnydoe
05/13/2012, 08:39 PM
in my reactor with gfo it dosent tumble , u dont want it to tumble it will brake down , basicly u want just the very top to dance

WaVe RiDeR
05/13/2012, 08:42 PM
in my reactor with gfo it dosent tumble , u dont want it to tumble it will brake down , basicly u want just the very top to dance

yeah just barley though gfo will break down easily.

kissman
05/13/2012, 08:43 PM
I use the phosban 150 and seem to have the same problem seems every day i am adjusting the flow to getit to boil

ecvernon
05/13/2012, 08:43 PM
Original poster said its BRS HC gfo
IMO its a little more dense and takes a little more flow to tumble. I stopped using the BRS and TLF reactors due to clogging and difficult maintanance. After a while the flow slowed down and needed adjusting no matter if I used external maxi jet or manifold from my return pump. I am now using the next reef shorty reactor and the media has consistent flow and NEVER clogs.

ecvernon
05/13/2012, 08:47 PM
it may not be the reactor, could be a number of things like for example one is that BRS GFO media absolutely sucks its cheap and you get alot but you get what you pay for thats just my 2 cent but maybe it works good for you sometime, second is try turning your flow up , just some ideas before you go drop 40- 60 bucks on a new reactor.

BRS gfo has worked great for me. I now use the high capacity and it works just as well as rowaphos. And lasts just as long if not longer for my system

WaVe RiDeR
05/13/2012, 08:58 PM
Compared to what? What results do you have showing their product stinks compared to another comparable product? Were you expecting it to do something that did not happen?

It would be far more convincing were you able to say that you used BRS GFO and had x amount of phosphate reduction, but it was blasted away when you had X amount of takedown using another GFO. Were you testing for phosphate and what test kits were used?

trying this now Red Sea NO3:PO4-X.

nine8taco
05/13/2012, 09:01 PM
i just have a cheap little media reactor and have noticed that if i turn up the flow too high some of the gfo will rise to the top of the chamber and get clogged i turn my flow down so that i just keeps it tumbling and i havent had anymore issues

James77
05/13/2012, 09:06 PM
trying this now Red Sea NO3:PO4-X.

Could you add more to why you think BRS's GFO is crap please than one line answers?

What did you experience, or not experience, that caused you to think it crap? Comparisons between the two....do they look similar?

Are you testing for PO4?

kissman
05/13/2012, 09:38 PM
Next reef is a good looking reactor might invest in one to replace my 150 Phosban

yachtdr22
06/01/2012, 01:59 PM

??? BRS High Capacity GFO rocks!
Dont know about their cheaper granular...

bamf25
06/01/2012, 02:55 PM
I am not 100% happy with the BRS reactor, but it does work ok once you learn the ins an outs of it. As for their GFO, the granular standard stuff is just fine. I use it personally and have noticed a significant decrease in algae in my tank. Do not let fancy lables fool you, if it is made up of the same stuff, guess what, its the same stuff.

kissman
06/01/2012, 04:23 PM
The reg gfo is not the same as the high capacity gfo. Its not as brittle and you use half as much as the reg gfo. It ansorbs twice as much