PDA

View Full Version : JBJ 28G LED, Skimmer help

JunBug
05/13/2012, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone, I have been reading around and looking at everyones Nano, now its my turn for some help and opinons. I have a 28G JBJ LED and looking to put my skimmer from my 55 into the 28, I have notice that some remove the media basket. What problems will I have if I do remove the media basket and put the skimmer in its place, its a Remora Aqua C. I also plan on a GFO & Carbon reactor from BRS. Will this be an ok setup or do I have to keep the media basket? Thank to everyone.:thumbsup:

Po Pimp Daddie
05/13/2012, 07:49 PM
Dude save ur self the hassle....aquamaxx hob-1 is the best skimmer for this tank and u don't have to loose the media basket

JunBug
05/14/2012, 06:53 AM
Well right now I am trying to see if this will work instead of buying another skimmer, I know there is alot of guys out there with this Tank so maybe someone that has one can let me know what they have done in this area. I have seen that some fill that area with live rocks also, but want to see if anyone has done something like what Im looking to do.

JunBug
05/15/2012, 04:00 PM
Well I guess I'm on my own with this one, don't seem like anyone has done this setup.

ilyad
05/15/2012, 10:29 PM
Give me like 30 minutes, I'll show you a little mod I made so I can still run the media basket and the skimmer. I need to dig up the pictures from god knows where

ilyad
05/15/2012, 10:40 PM
Actually, never-mind, I just realized that that skimmer has the pump that goes where the media basket is. I ran a CPR Bak Pak 2 the same way and had to get rid of the media basket, now I run the amaxx the problem that I had about not having a media basket, I had a ton of debris floating around. Then I just added some filter floss to catch it, but I constantly had the skimmer pump suck up the filter floss. To fix that I went to a hobby store and bought some crocheing (sp?) grid, cut a piece that was the right size, laid that over the pump and then put the filter floss. That helped, but didnt solve the problem. I then got the amaxx and couldnt be happier lol

ange062
05/15/2012, 10:44 PM
The Remora should hang on back just fine and spill back into the media basket. I don't like the thought of removing the basket because I like running floss to catch large debris before they can settle into the back chambers and make cleaning harder. You definitely don't want to remove the media basket before adding reactors as you will lose ability to run media like carbon or GFO to keep your water crystal clear. I run reactors and only floss in the basket (much like people with a sump run a filter sock as the first line of cleaning).

+1 for above though, the HOB-1 is an awesome skimmer and works great on this tank. This link might give you ideas:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027481

Duvallj
05/16/2012, 05:17 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269122&highlight=remora

This might have a useful hint or too. I was actually looking for the same thing yesterday. I have the same skimmer and looking into a nanocube/biocube.

Lemme know how it works, I might have to try it in a month or two.