PDA

View Full Version : Threadfin Cardinalfish

Reefing Newbie
05/13/2012, 08:58 PM
I have decided on getting a group of these in the near future (next month if everything goes as planned for my tank). The plan was to do a group of 5 for my tank. Would it be best to add them all at the same time? If possible I would like to do it in two stages, first a pair (just two, not a bonded pair per say) then get a group of three after the first two are placed in the DT for a later introduction. Would I run into any major problems in doing this?

rhdoug
05/14/2012, 07:30 AM
I would add them all at once, I have had no issues doing it that way. I don't know of any advantage of doing it in stages, I also have never added any new ones to an existing group so don't know if there would be aggression issues or not.

mikid
05/14/2012, 09:46 AM
i would add 10 at one time, you may have a little dye off, I put in 5 9 months ago and now have 3 healthly fish, non agressive,eat like crazy,and growing......love these fish.They hang out in the water column at night.....

Reefing Newbie
05/14/2012, 02:05 PM
mikid, did you QT yours or not? Any idea why they died?

I think I will do one larger group then. Now that I think about it, it would probably be better to do so.

jadette
05/14/2012, 08:41 PM
Are you buying them locally or getting them shipped?

I read that they were poor shippers and that I should order more than I wanted and expect some attrition.

I ordered 12 from petsolutions.com. All arrived alive. I lost one the first week (random disappearance) and now have a stable 11. It's been over 3 months.

They are the most peaceful fish I have ever owned. No aggression towards each other or to my other fish (mostly anthias and wrasses). No issues with introducing all at a time.

Reefing Newbie
05/14/2012, 08:48 PM
They will be bought locally from an LFS where I can get a guarantee on them for two weeks. The cardinals aren't spendy enough to get me free shipping form LA, so local it is. :) My tank will be mostly wrasses, a few anthias, these, clowns, and maybe a dwarf angel (if I am brave enough to). Got to get these in early so no one attacks them when introduced.

reeferstace
05/15/2012, 07:54 AM
As jadette said, they are poor shippers. If your LFS has some and have had them for a few weeks, I say go for it.

I would like to add a group of 5-6 to my 300g. I have kept threadfins before and they are subtly gorgeous and very peaceful. They don't fight with each other like bangaiis do. None of my LFS seem to get them in with any regularity. :(

Reefing Newbie
05/15/2012, 02:01 PM
Ever since I saw them in a photo jadette took of his, I thought they looked amazing with the anthias. I have seen a few of them here and there at most of the LFS around. I just don't see them all at the same one, so they either lose a lot of them or don't order many at a time... I am assuming the losses though.