PDA

View Full Version : Reef Gently Acclimate

MyOwnGrowOp
05/14/2012, 10:21 AM
Anybody used this? Seems like an awesome idea. Doubles as a fish trap, transporter, and some other things. Just wondering if it's worth it or if I'm missing any terrible reviews! I know I could build something similar for cheaper but I'm just wondering if these are any good or if anyone is using them.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Gent...MIATTK-vi.html
Let me know what you guys think!

masonicman
05/14/2012, 10:59 AM
I don't use this, but after looking at it and watch the video, I think it's a waste of money. You can do the same with adding water to a bucket or the bag when acclimating. Remove by pour in a net and introduce to you DT or QT just as gentle.

MyOwnGrowOp
05/14/2012, 11:53 AM
I deffinitly see what your saying. I think I just like the idea of setting it and walking away for acclimation. Also, I need a fish trap anyway to get this damn 6 line out of my 120g! Lol just didn't know if anyone used these

SKurj
05/14/2012, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking of one of those, I currently have an acclimator by CPR called First Aid but its a bit of a PITA...

MyOwnGrowOp
05/14/2012, 03:16 PM
I'm thinking of one of those, I currently have an acclimator by CPR called First Aid but its a bit of a PITA...

I also looked at those.. What about it makes it a pain?

SKurj
05/14/2012, 04:08 PM
I also looked at those.. What about it makes it a pain?

Ok..

It has a valve you can attach at the bottom for the acclimation process and you adjust it for the drip speed you want. Well that valve turns 360 deg, and even if you could adjust it underwater which is very difficult the knob has next to no gripping surface, you wouldn't have a feel for it. You have to adjust out of water, the moment you do, water from the unit is now dripping into your tank. (try and adjust before placing in the tank so lfs water can't get into your tank)

The tubing for the valve is quite stiff (i should just replace it) the slightest bump and the valve falls off.

That's enough to make it a PITA, but its nothing that is hard to fix, I may replace the piece of hose and try an airline valve or anything that is easier to grip.

I have used it to house brine shrimp for the weekend, with an airline connected where the valve goes, due to the poor fit of the valve hose I didn't use it just airline directly to it and a knot in the line to control pressure. It worked fine but very noisey with air bubbling. Due to the way it mounts it has lots of room to rattle and loud.

Could be a better product with some refinement. Maybe the grass isn't greener for the reef gently unit... or mebbe it is...

sjnovakovich
05/14/2012, 06:14 PM
IMHO That is a collossal waste of money.

milkman55
05/14/2012, 06:43 PM
It's a waste of money. I bought one from MD and it leaked on one seam. They sent me a replacement and it leaked where the suction cups were attached. I fixed both so now have two. They are hard to adjust, not dependable on sticking to the tank (picked fish up off the floor), and I can do the same thing with a bucket and transfer net.

bnumair
05/14/2012, 06:52 PM
i have one, it works well as everything else except the acclimation part. i have the bigger unit the XLor PRO i forgot the name. anyways. the drip rate is a joke on this thing. u can set the drip rate to what ever u want on the out but the one coming in from the tank is metered or say supposed to be metered but its not a drop its a steady stream so i feel like its a waste of money too just for that reason.

Jeremy1988
11/17/2016, 03:00 PM
I don't use this, but after looking at it and watch the video, I think it's a waste of money. You can do the same with adding water to a bucket or the bag when acclimating. Remove by pour in a net and introduce to you DT or QT just as gentle.

Its not a waste of money...its a great product I have used time and time again and acclimates the fish better than a bucket method. To prove my point...this has a lid on it. If your temp in your house is much different than the temp in your house the temp in the bucket of course can be different. If you put a thermometer inside the box while you acclimate the temp will remain constant the entire time. People that complain the suction cups break loose probably don't know how to put a little bit of spit on the back side of the cup to stick it onto the glass.

Jeremy1988
11/17/2016, 03:03 PM
Ok..

It has a valve you can attach at the bottom for the acclimation process and you adjust it for the drip speed you want. Well that valve turns 360 deg, and even if you could adjust it underwater which is very difficult the knob has next to no gripping surface, you wouldn't have a feel for it. You have to adjust out of water, the moment you do, water from the unit is now dripping into your tank. (try and adjust before placing in the tank so lfs water can't get into your tank)

The tubing for the valve is quite stiff (i should just replace it) the slightest bump and the valve falls off.

That's enough to make it a PITA, but its nothing that is hard to fix, I may replace the piece of hose and try an airline valve or anything that is easier to grip.

I have used it to house brine shrimp for the weekend, with an airline connected where the valve goes, due to the poor fit of the valve hose I didn't use it just airline directly to it and a knot in the line to control pressure. It worked fine but very noisey with air bubbling. Due to the way it mounts it has lots of room to rattle and loud.

Could be a better product with some refinement. Maybe the grass isn't greener for the reef gently unit... or mebbe it is...

The biggest problem I found with it is how fast the water comes from the tank to the box...the rest is all usually user error IMO...minus the defects of course. I think its easiest to just tie a knot into the tubing coming from the tank to the box...the rest works great.

slief
11/17/2016, 03:09 PM
Its not a waste of money...its a great product I have used time and time again and acclimates the fish better than a bucket method. To prove my point...this has a lid on it. If your temp in your house is much different than the temp in your house the temp in the bucket of course can be different. If you put a thermometer inside the box while you acclimate the temp will remain constant the entire time. People that complain the suction cups break loose probably don't know how to put a little bit of spit on the back side of the cup to stick it onto the glass.

The biggest problem I found with it is how fast the water comes from the tank to the box...the rest is all usually user error IMO...minus the defects of course. I think its easiest to just tie a knot into the tubing coming from the tank to the box...the rest works great.

I have one myself which I've been using for a few years now and use it for most acclimations and really like it. It's by far better than mixing water into the bag and is much easier and less stressful on fish and inverts.

If you have enough bag water in the acclimate and place the acclimate high enough on the display so that the water level in the display is about the same as the bag water in the Reef Gently Acclimate, the rate of the new water coming into the Acclimate will always be the same as the water going out. This assuming the water going out of the Acclimate is going out slow enough. I've never had to tie the line off between the tank and the box to slow it down. If you are having to do that, the water level in the Acclimate is too low in comparison to the tanks water level assuming you are using the suction cups to hold the Acclimate to the display tank.

CafeReef
11/17/2016, 03:21 PM
I havnt seen this before. I will be ordering one of these. I use the drip method now and it works fine, but I really like some aspects of this, the set it and forget it is a great feature, but I also like that it hangs on the tank and can act as a sort of "introduction" to my other fish.

slief
11/17/2016, 04:13 PM
I havnt seen this before. I will be ordering one of these. I use the drip method now and it works fine, but I really like some aspects of this, the set it and forget it is a great feature, but I also like that it hangs on the tank and can act as a sort of "introduction" to my other fish.

It also makes a great fish trap! I've got a number of fish using it. It has a hole in the lid that's designed to use fish string for trap purposes and it works great!

Brieninsac
11/17/2016, 04:36 PM
I've been using the small one for maybe 6 or so months. It was a little pricy but I think it was worth it. I take it every time I go fish shopping. I have also used it as a fish trap, which works ok. Smart fish know to stay clear of it. My biggest gripe is sometimes the screws to the suction cups leak. So you have to periodically tighten it back up.

slief
11/17/2016, 04:43 PM
I've been using the small one for maybe 6 or so months. It was a little pricy but I think it was worth it. I take it every time I go fish shopping. I have also used it as a fish trap, which works ok. Smart fish know to stay clear of it. My biggest gripe is sometimes the screws to the suction cups leak. So you have to periodically tighten it back up.

I've caught any and every fish Ive wanted to with it quite easily. In fact, there isn't a fish in my tank that I couldn't catch with it or any other trap for that matter regardless of how smart they are. Best advice is to leave the trap in the tank for a day or two so the fish get used to it. Then add some frozen food to the trap and close the door. The frozen food should float in the trap and be very visible. It will also create a scent trail which will attract the fish to the trap. It won't take but a few minutes for the fish to start trying to get at the food through the box. When the fish you are after starts trying to get to the food, open the door using the string just enough to let the fish in and it won't take long for it to find the opening. I used it a couple weeks ago to catch two Klein's butterfly's in my main display. I also used to to temporarily relocate a lemon peel angel before adding my Goldflakes. I also caught an Atlantic Blue Tank with it and it didn't take long to catch any of them. It also helps to attach a mirror to the back wall over the acclimate either inside or outside. I just tape a rectangular makeup mirror to the outside. The fish see themselves in the mirror and it eliminates any fear they have of it and brings out their agressive side.

Jeremy1988
11/17/2016, 05:33 PM
I have one myself which I've been using for a few years now and use it for most acclimations and really like it. It's by far better than mixing water into the bag and is much easier and less stressful on fish and inverts.

If you have enough bag water in the acclimate and place the acclimate high enough on the display so that the water level in the display is about the same as the bag water in the Reef Gently Acclimate, the rate of the new water coming into the Acclimate will always be the same as the water going out. This assuming the water going out of the Acclimate is going out slow enough. I've never had to tie the line off between the tank and the box to slow it down. If you are having to do that, the water level in the Acclimate is too low in comparison to the tanks water level assuming you are using the suction cups to hold the Acclimate to the display tank.

Nah ur right...as a matter of fact I read in the directions it says to keep it level with the tank...I think in the past I have not been worrying about that. However I am getting some new fish the next couple of weeks and the guy keeps the fish at very low salient levels, so I'm actually glad I commented on this because I think I want to practice getting it at the level I want before I use it next time :). So thanks for that insight. I usually just stick it a few inches below the water line...which is wrong.

iced98lx
11/17/2016, 05:50 PM
despite the thread being from 2012 I'll chime in that I use a large one of these and love it.

Jeremy1988
11/17/2016, 05:55 PM
despite the thread being from 2012 I'll chime in that I use a large one of these and love it.

Yes...I want to add something in on this. You just said that this is from 2012. For those listening who have given either me or others flack about commenting on a old thread, I say shame on you. We are all here to learn, what you people need to realize is that when a new hobbyist or an old one decides to use the grey material in between there ears and type in a google search of, "Why jawfish is sleeping outside burrow" for example they, thru the google search engine, will find a forum site that has something if not exactly answering there question, something close. So I just want to say if anyone is listening I personally think that its not only a good thing, but should be encouraged to comment on older threads if its for the good of the reefing community we so quote unquote "Pride" ourselves on. That is all.

iced98lx
11/17/2016, 06:09 PM
Yes...I want to add something in on this. You just said that this is from 2012. For those listening who have given either me or others flack about commenting on a old thread, I say shame on you. We are all here to learn, what you people need to realize is that when a new hobbyist or an old one decides to use the grey material in between there ears and type in a google search of, "Why jawfish is sleeping outside burrow" for example they, thru the google search engine, will find a forum site that has something if not exactly answering there question, something close. So I just want to say if anyone is listening I personally think that its not only a good thing, but should be encouraged to comment on older threads if its for the good of the reefing community we so quote unquote "Pride" ourselves on. That is all.

Of course you can post on old threads if you'd like. I contributed my 2cents after noting it's age mainly because this is a subject that is relevant today (same equipment being sold and used). Had this thread served no purpose due to it's age (those exist) I would not have commented on it.

I noted the age because some people will read through this thread which is now on the front page and have a question, perhaps they'll disagree with someone (as you have in your posts) and quote someone who hasn't logged in for the past 12 months (as you have) and perhaps they may even expect that person to be actively engaged in the conversation (I doubt you do). I noted it's from 2012 to hopefully direct folks to engage with current discussion and realize that the OP or other participants in 2012 may not be here/active any longer.