PDA

View Full Version : Tank size

LIFishGuy
05/14/2012, 12:46 PM
Okay...I know bigger bigger is better. More stability, more specimens, etc.

As far as space is concerned for the room I'm going to put my tank in, I was thinking something between 40-75 gallons. I see that for those sizes there are different variations. For example, 40 long, 40 breeder, 75 long, 75 regular??

Looking for opinions on a best size, or size with the most pros between 40-75 gallons (as far as tank maintenance is concerned, equipment, aquascaping, etc). I had a 29g biocube a few years ago, but no longer have the tank due to damage in a move. So....I need a new tank to start back up again. I've been doing tons of research, but I need to decide on a tank and stand before I do anything else. I will have a sump/refugium underneath if that factors into the equation at all.

Thanks

billdogg
05/14/2012, 12:58 PM
I prefer to have as much front to back space as possible. Aquascaping is much easier that way. Narrow tanks just end up looking, well, pinched.

That will also maximize the surface area, which allows for better air exchange.

jm.02

LIFishGuy
05/14/2012, 01:04 PM
I prefer to have as much front to back space as possible. Aquascaping is much easier that way. Narrow tanks just end up looking, well, pinched.

That will also maximize the surface area, which allows for better air exchange.

jm.02

Thanks...that was the kind of reply I was looking for. That makes sense and I'm all for better air exchange.

Any other comments from my fellow reefers?

blt
05/14/2012, 01:12 PM
The 40 long vs 40 breeder is depth of field vs width. You get more horizontal swim space with the 40 long, but sacrifice front-to-back swim space. If you want to have the fish swimming in, out and around the rock work, I'd suggest against the 40 long. But if you want the rock work and/or coral to be a backdrop for the fish, it would work just fine.

A standard 75 has the length of the 40 long, the front-to-back depth of the 40 breeder, and is a bit taller. Gives you more space to play with for rock work, and a few more options with fish selection. Bigger footprint than either of the 40g tanks, though, and you'd need a bit more powerful light to reach the bottom as well as with either of the 40s.

75 long gives you a lot more horizontal swim space, but is very short for the volume of water. It would give you a smaller variation of lighting levels for a variety of corals. Seems like it would be great for a shallow-reef tank though. Some of the larger species you'd usually see in a 6ft long tank might not work well in a tank that short. Unless you specifically want "shallow", I'd suggest a 125 or 150 over a 75 long - same footprint, a lot more space to play with.

In the end though, go with preference. They can all be the basis for really beautiful tanks.

Donkeykong
05/14/2012, 01:47 PM
I have a 40 breeder and really like the 18" front to back, makes rock work and coral placement very nice. I do wish it was a bit taller. I am thinking a 50gallon 36x18x16 would be a perfect tank, decent water volume for stability but not getting to the larger 80 gallon and up tanks, and also has good amount of space to work with.

LIFishGuy
05/14/2012, 01:55 PM
Anything good or bad about bow fronts? I think personally I prefer cube or rectangle. But...I did find a good deal on a 72 gallon bow front reef ready.

SKurj
05/14/2012, 02:00 PM
i Have a 40 long and wish I had gone with a wider tank of at least 18" more aquascaping options and space for corals.

TjwBlake
05/14/2012, 02:03 PM
I'd take the bowfront then. Personally I think they just look bigger and feel like they have more space in them. PLus the curve just adds a little extra to it.

but thats really just my opinion

Stolireef
05/14/2012, 04:21 PM
bow fronts look great but are a pain to clean with a magnet or blade. Hard to deal with the curve. Had one for years at that was my only complaint.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LIFishGuy
05/14/2012, 09:28 PM
bow fronts look great but are a pain to clean with a magnet or blade. Hard to deal with the curve. Had one for years at that was my only complaint.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Forget the bow front. I don't want to deal with that. When I had the biocube it had the rounded sides and they were kind of tough to scrape with a razor.

Looks like I'm going to go 75 gallons to 90 gallons now. Just have to pick the dimensions.

SKurj
05/15/2012, 05:53 AM
I have a corner unit with a curved front glass and its no more difficult to run a mag float over it than my rectangle tanks.

TjwBlake
05/15/2012, 05:57 AM
I have a corner unit with a curved front glass and its no more difficult to run a mag float over it than my rectangle tanks.

I have to agree, mag float is easy as pie.. BUT I do agree about scraping. I have a Biocube and thats the only PITA I have with the glass cleaning

fishgate
05/15/2012, 06:32 AM
I have a 46 bow and a 40B. The 40B is SW and the 46 Bow is Goldfish. I wish I had used the Bow as the SW DT and the 40B as the sump for it. Both are 36" wide.

jeff@zina.com
05/15/2012, 06:43 AM
Depending on which 70 and which 90 gallon, the 90 is a wider (front to back) profile. 90 is my favorite in that particular length and height. Though it doesn't get ideal until you're in the 300 gallon range. :)

Jeff

MarkGP
05/15/2012, 03:53 PM
When I bought my first tank many years ago, I had a 75 gal in mind. When I went to the LFS I saw a 90 and thought that would be cool. Took a look down the aisle and saw a 120. Same length and height as the 90 but 6 more inches front to back. I went home with the 120! I would recommend getting as large of a tank that will fit in the space you want to put it.