PDA

View Full Version : ato confusion

heckfire
05/14/2012, 06:17 PM
Time to get a top off system, i plan on putting a 10 gallon tank next to my sump to deliver water. Problem is im confused as heck about the systems im seeing being sold as complete for hundreds or for 80 bucks i can get a partial system with no pump...i was thinking this pump http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Lifter-3-5gph-inches-height/dp/B001BOD9JI on a timer of 15 mins twice in 24 hrs... im confused

bnumair
05/14/2012, 06:54 PM
what ato system are u looking into?
usually ATO is float sensor and a unit and u can alomost use any pump u want as long as its within the amps available by the unit.

reefkeeper125
05/14/2012, 06:56 PM
imo I would drill a hole in your sump and instal a mechanical float valve. Plumb your r/o tank to the float valve. Much more reliable then a pump on a timer. If you must use a pump then install a float switch and have it turn the pump on and off.

cordell
05/14/2012, 07:16 PM
Use caution when plumbing a continuous water source to your sump that relies solely on a mechanical device to prevent the flow of water into the system. Mechanical devices are ruled by Murphy and he wins every now and then ;)

There are some basic simple systems that use one or two float switch in the sump which trigger a relay that powers a small pump such as a small maxijet or an aqualifter pump (recommended). These systems use a float switch positioned in the sump at the exact water level you are trying to maintain, and then a float switch positioned slightly higher in case the first float switch sticks on to prevent overfilling.

Many on this forum, including myself, use a unit from autotopoff.com. There are others, but you don't have to buy anything that costs $80+. The pump will cost about $20 if you get an aqualifter. Some kits come with them, some not. Here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2154469) is a recent thread where they discussed the autotopoff kits. Do some more research on them and units like them and you'll know your options.