PDA

View Full Version : Cycling, GFO, Carbon questions

Brent RH
05/15/2012, 09:23 PM
Here's what i think i did in somewhat of a backward order. Started a new 72 gal with about 80 lbs of nice cured LR. The tank sat for about 3 wks fully operating. The next 2 wks i start ghost feeding. Then i got a wild idea to buy 2 $25 bottles of DR Tim's denitrifying bacteria. Perhaps a rooking mistake, I'm running carbon during this time. Another reefer on here posted that you don't want to be running carbon during the cycle because it will absorb the new bacteria trying to form. Is this why at about 9 wks into the process i still have about .25 ammonia? Did my Dr. Tim's solution get absorbed by my carbon? Can you run GFO during the cycle to limit algae growth? At what point in a new tank setup are you actually doing the tank a benefit to run GFO and carbon? My skimmer cup is near full daily. I haven't any livestock. And to think I've been doing fish tank chaos for about 5 years but never properly cycled a tank!

soul4surfin
05/15/2012, 09:46 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2170537

Just started a similar thread and we seem at the same point in time in our cycles. I am at 8 weeks with about 100 lbs of dry and 10 lbs of live in a 90 gallon and as well dosed some "instant bacteria" for about 4 days in the beginning.

Don't know the full answer yet to my question, but I am having the feeling we have to get to 12 weeks before wondering if anything is gone haywire.

However since you seem to have almost all LR, you might already be cycled.

sporto0
05/15/2012, 10:40 PM
Bacteria can't be absorbed by carbon, they like to colonize on porous surfaces such as rock, sponges & filter media designed for this very thing. .25 ppm ammonia readings after 9 weeks makes me think your test kit is askew or you have ghost fed to the ultimate extreme. Have you gotten readings for nitrites & nitrates as well? Your ammonia levels are not critical but without livestock your ammonia should certainly be undetecable. I place zero faith in any bacteria in a bottle, it may help, it may not, but in my opinion, if you let the cycle complete on it's own, you are ensured to have the best possible beginning & it's free & all natural.

Ron Reefman
05/16/2012, 04:53 AM
Perhaps a rooking mistake, I'm running carbon during this time. Another reefer on here posted that you don't want to be running carbon during the cycle because it will absorb the new bacteria trying to form.

+1 to what sporto0 said.

Carbon holds chemicals and organic molicules out of the water. And you change out the carbon, so if it did have the bacteria you want to develop, they would be gone when you do the carbon change. Not what you want.

Personally, I wouldn't run carbon or GFO as you start up a new system. You run the risk of masking a start up problem. Wait until you see a need for one or the other. You are going to have an algae bloom or two as you tank matures for 2-6 months after it is cycled. You need to know why you are running GFO and carbon, don't just do it because somebody told you to. You need to understand what the GFO and carbon are doing or you'll never understand what is going on in your tank.

My tank has been running for 2 years and I haven't run carbon at all. And I only ran GFO for 6 weeks when I had a small hairy algae outbreak in my frag tank (tied into the whole system). Some people run them all the time, some don't run them unless they are needed. My feeling is, if you need them all the time, your system is running to close to the edge of having bigger issues due to things like feeding too much, or you have too many fish, or you need better nutrient export systems (skimmer, macro algae, DSB). It's just my opinion, but it seems to work pretty well for me.

SKurj
05/16/2012, 06:44 AM
I cycled my tank with carbon and GFO from day one. I did use some established LR (50/50 with marco rock) and my tank was basically cycled within the first 2 weeks.
I have also cycled my FW tanks with carbon as well with no issues.

Should add the reason I ran GFO was all the stories I had heard about marco rocks (and others) leaching phosphates so I wanted to stay on top of it if I could.

sponger0
05/16/2012, 06:47 AM
Bacteria can't be absorbed by carbon, they like to colonize on porous surfaces such as rock, sponges & filter media designed for this very thing. .25 ppm ammonia readings after 9 weeks makes me think your test kit is askew or you have ghost fed to the ultimate extreme. Have you gotten readings for nitrites & nitrates as well? Your ammonia levels are not critical but without livestock your ammonia should certainly be undetecable. I place zero faith in any bacteria in a bottle, it may help, it may not, but in my opinion, if you let the cycle complete on it's own, you are ensured to have the best possible beginning & it's free & all natural.

+1 to what sporto0 said.

Carbon holds chemicals and organic molicules out of the water. And you change out the carbon, so if it did have the bacteria you want to develop, they would be gone when you do the carbon change. Not what you want.

Personally, I wouldn't run carbon or GFO as you start up a new system. You run the risk of masking a start up problem. Wait until you see a need for one or the other. You are going to have an algae bloom or two as you tank matures for 2-6 months after it is cycled. You need to know why you are running GFO and carbon, don't just do it because somebody told you to. You need to understand what the GFO and carbon are doing or you'll never understand what is going on in your tank.

My tank has been running for 2 years and I haven't run carbon at all. And I only ran GFO for 6 weeks when I had a small hairy algae outbreak in my frag tank (tied into the whole system). Some people run them all the time, some don't run them unless they are needed. My feeling is, if you need them all the time, your system is running to close to the edge of having bigger issues due to things like feeding too much, or you have too many fish, or you need better nutrient export systems (skimmer, macro algae, DSB). It's just my opinion, but it seems to work pretty well for me.

I agree with what both these guys have said. No need for GFO or carbon. I understand you want the tank to cycle, but its best if it does it on its own with no interference or adding chemicals, including the bacteria stuff you added. It will do it on its own. If you use chemicals to help it along, its going to keep needing that as opposed to allowing it to create its own natural filtration.

So remove the carbon and GFO, keep your hands out...yes I know this is a challenge, just wait and let it cycle. Only thing you need to be doign at this time is testing the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

While your waiting for the cycle to complete, its a great time to read and plan out what you want to put in your tank.

Ryan Chakal
05/16/2012, 06:50 AM
use the filter correctly, and it should work

Brent RH
05/16/2012, 09:10 PM
Here are my API test results for today: 8.2 PH and ZERO'S on the rest! The cycle has finished I do believe!
I am not a former user of GFO. But sure seems like a good idea. Please inform me with out any reservations. I know that keeping my fingers out of the tank has its benefits but I also want to do all I can to have this system working smooth. Who doesn't want to keep the algae and phosphate out of the picture. Is it like using a Tylenol to reduce a fever that a body may be better off letting a body handle on its own? Dumb comparison. People talk about using methods of care that prevent us from having to tackle a problem before its out of control. Why are so many folks on here using GFO?

The carbon is something I have been a fan of. As well, Please inform me. What I do know is that it keeps my water clear and smelling pleasant. Are some of you thinking that using carbon and GFO is wasting my money or a waste of money and a disfavor to my system. Not to mention the 2 bulk reef supply containers with GFO and carbon are pretty cool looking in operation! All you guys are giving much desired advice.

sponger0
05/17/2012, 06:47 AM
No need to run gfo or carbon at this time. Let the tank do its thing. Its going to change as it acquires livestock. Like a previous post said carbon is generally only used when there is something you are trying to nuetralize in the tank like coral chemical warfare or if something dies in the tank

Gfo also unecessary at this point. You would need to know an accurate reading on your phosphates which I doubt you will read any at this point. So save your money, get a clean up crew, setup a QT and start looking for a fish :)