PDA

View Full Version : New to the hobby first tank

Mpwcreighton
05/16/2012, 07:46 AM
I'm new to the hobby and pick up a new 200 gallon reef tank at a garage sale. Called a place about setting it up and he told me it would run 8 to ten grand. Does that sound right? Im not really interested in anything fancy just a low maintenance reef tankAlso if you could recommend a book for step by step guide on how to set up a reef tank. I always wanted a salt water tank since I was a kid! So excited thanks for all the help

sponger0
05/16/2012, 08:35 AM
If you are going to pay someone to set it up....yes this should about right. Any service company charges about $60-100 per house. Then you add equipment....so just averaging out prices is like this for a 200 gallon, lights with using metal halide about $1000, skimmer $400, return pump $150, water circluation $120, sand $200, live rock 200 lbs x $6/lb = $1200.

It adds up very quickly. Rule of thumb is for every gallon you will spend $50 once everything is setup and tank is fully stocked. So spending $10k is very feasible.

TjwBlake
05/16/2012, 08:41 AM
The way to cut that is by shopping craigs list, garage sales, local reef clubs etc for used equipment.
If all you plan on is a FOWLR you can probably cut that bill even more as you dont need the high end lights, skimmers, and other extra's required to manage the full blown reef tanks.

In the end this is NOT a cheap hobby.
I have an 8gallon tank and I have put about $500 into getting it stocked and running.

fishgate
05/16/2012, 08:45 AM
$8-$10k seems quite excessive. Maybe if you are getting the best of everything and having someone set it up.

Doing everything yourself if you have the tank and nothing else I would figure maybe $2500 (with Corals). You could do it cheaper depending on what you want out of it like no Corals (no photosynthetic animals) lowers the price a lot.

sponger0
05/16/2012, 09:12 AM
Ok let me break it down on price again for everything brand new....which paying someone to set it up you will most likely get new equipment.

Quiet One 5000 return pump $140
Reef Octo XS250 $500
3 Koralia 1050 powerheads $150
2 Eheim Jager Heater $70
3 Metal Halide pendants $900
Minimum 55 gallon for sump around $100
Quality stand $500
Plumbing $200
Sand $150
Live rock $1200

So far with that list its $4300

Plus hourly service, drilling tank, setting up, ensuring all equipment is working properly.

Alot of cost can be cut by doing it yourself....but $8k wouldnt be unlikely

Mel 2038
05/16/2012, 09:12 AM
Hi, Welcome to RC and also to the journey of reefkeeping. To answer your first question, if you have a professional service set this up for you, 8k TO 10k doesn't sound far off. Now seeing that your excited, you will most likely want to do the set up yourself. If that's true your off to a good start by trying to educate yourself. Amazon has alot of good books on starting a reef but you can find alot of information right here on RC. I almost forgot that Bulk Reef Supply has a video series on setting up a reef tank use this link http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/ or google, and go to BRS tv. Best of Luck to you.

Joel_155
05/16/2012, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the hobby. If you want to spend 10k you can but you can save alot by DIY and checking out the local forum in your area. Not surw how quickly you want this setup up or not but you can save $$$ if you get used equipment. Go to more forums link and then reef clubs and find the local forum in your area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Joel_155
05/16/2012, 09:16 AM
Also...read all the stickies...and read them again and again and again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ken55
05/16/2012, 09:20 AM
There are ways to cut costs. As mentioned Craigslist and local clubs can be a great place to find used equipment. Your equipment HAS to work but it does not HAVE to be new.

DIY is a big way to save if you have the knowledge and tools. Example: I built my own stand for around $50. It is just as nice as any in the stores that sell for $150 or more. I stink at electrical stuff so I purchased my lights but if I had the experience I know I could have saved half by doing it myself.

The local clubs are a great way to obtain inexpensive corals. Frags seem to be the currency of my local club. You might be surprised as to what you can trade for frags. You just need to be willing to let them grow (frags=small cut up pieces of a full sized coral) but that's part of the hobby anyway.

Fish: Well no real advice there. You'll end up buying at local fish store or online for the asking price.

In the end this is an expensive hobby but you can save along the way. Just don't buy "junk" or you'll end up buying it again. Ask here for opinions on evrything. Fortunately advice is free!

HTH

Mpwcreighton
05/16/2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all the help I think I will do it myself. I will search to see if there is a club around thanks again

sponger0
05/16/2012, 09:40 AM
I didnt wanna scare you on prices, but wanted you to get a realistic number for what you would need to spend. Used equipment will save alot. Just stick around on here, ask questions and before you know it the for sale section will be open to you and you can find some deals

erock68
05/16/2012, 02:10 PM
Just to give a comparison, I am currently doing a 75G Reef and I would say with everything that I have purchased so far, I'm at $1500 + with lighting and powerheads (plus odds & ends like salt, test kits and such) still to purchase.

It does add up quickly but it's a great adventure.

rfrain01
05/16/2012, 04:43 PM
Welcome and good luck!