PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI - Vertex Puratek 100GPD Filter - general questions

goldfish69
05/16/2012, 11:50 AM
hi Forum.

I recently purchased the following ro/di unit - Vertex Puratek 100GPD Filter and I had a few general questions:

1) unit doesn't come with an on/off switch so I currently just unplug the unit when enough water is made and plug back in when I need more water. Is that good or not?

2) What is the schedule to replace each of the filters (micron sediment; carbon; resin)? I will be making about 35g of water each week.

thanks

bnumair
05/16/2012, 12:44 PM
i am not familiar with that brand but googling it shows a booster pump. so yes if u unplug the booster pump and it should cut the water u should be ok there.
usually 12 months or as u see the DI turn golden from dark brown whichever comes first.
if you really want to be precise then check the TDS on the output. once u start getting up over 5 TDS time to change.

ek9vboi
05/16/2012, 12:45 PM
1) Unless it has a booster pump, it should but not in all cases have an auto shut off valve. Once water is done being produce and you shut off the valve near the last filter it should stop all the water coming in to get filtered.

2) Most monitor via TDS of the last filter or rather after the RO and after the Di. I'm not sure if your kit comes with a Di but I'm pretty sure it should as most kits made for reef tanks do. I would also flush the membrane every time you use it for a few mins.

I filter every 2-3 weeks so I flush before use and then let some drain out to be sure its pure filtered water.

ek9vboi
05/16/2012, 12:47 PM
i am not familiar with that brand but googling it shows a booster pump. so yes if u unplug the booster pump and it should cut the water u should be ok there.
usually 12 months or as u see the DI turn golden from dark brown whichever comes first.
if you really want to be precise then check the TDS on the output. once u start getting up over 5 TDS time to change.

Most change the Di once 1-2ppm shows up... because the Di is the last filter to catch it. It usually means the rest if the filter are exhausted already, sometimes if you don't catch it on time the Di leeches out what it was hold and that can be detrimental to a tank.

goldfish69
05/16/2012, 01:14 PM
thanks for your quick responses. I forgot to include the link for the exact unit that I bought:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=vt-ro100di

So everything still applies to what you guys have posted so far?

DreamLand
05/16/2012, 01:22 PM
I have the same one purchased from j and l. You will have to purchase a float value for it to turn off once your container is full or you could unplug it. Also it auto flushes on start up and every couples hours. I also added another carbon chamber. I haven't had any issue with it and just changed the di, carbon and micro on it a year later.

DreamLand
05/16/2012, 01:28 PM

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ro-kppostdi/Kent+Marine+Post-DI+RO+DI+Add-on.html

And here is the float I picked up.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ro-kpfvalve/Kent+Marine+ABS+Float+Valve+for+RO+Filters.html