PDA

View Full Version : Ich dilemma

Tokyoyankee
05/16/2012, 01:37 PM
Hi all

Just got ich for the first time, and now all my fish have it. My kole tang and one clown are now dead. I'm going to start treatment with copper in my 40 liter or 10 gallon mix container. My dilemma is I have 11 fish to treat. One purple tang, one yellow tang, 2 purple fire gobies, one clown, 5 anthias and a flame angel. Will this be a problem with over crowding. Would it be alright if I were to provide enough hiding spots?? In addition, how often do you think i have to do water changes. I'm planning to use a simple sponge filter. I know I'm suppose to monitor Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Please advise. And yes, I have learned my lesson. Quarantine!!! I'm kicking myself but there's nothing else but to learn and move on i suppose. Thank you in advance!

nlgill13
05/16/2012, 01:52 PM
Thats a lot of fish for a 10g, I would suggest probably a 20 or bigger for that many fish.

Daily water or bi-daily water changes will be necessary, and you will also want to test for copper (ie pick up a copper test kit). This is for keeping the appropriate amount of copper in your tank for treating (water changes will take some of the medicine out which will need to replaced with the correct amount of fresh copper).

Tokyoyankee
05/16/2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks! Daily water changes is going suck. I'll monitor the water before making water changes to see what kind of bio load I'm dealing with

sponger0
05/16/2012, 02:50 PM
Your dealing with a serious bioload for a 10 gallon container. With my 14 gallon QT, I treated 2 clowns for ick and as soon as I dosed copper, the next day .25 ppm ammonia.

My advice is go on craigslist and get at least a 40 breeder fro all those fish. Even if its not permanent, you can sell the tank later.

Tokyoyankee
05/16/2012, 03:36 PM
It's not money but rather the space. My wife aint going for that. What the hell am I goin do!!!

sponger0
05/16/2012, 03:39 PM
It's not money but rather the space. My wife aint going for that. What the hell am I goin do!!!

Thats why I said sell it later. Tell her its only for 2 months. Or all the livestock has a good chance of dying and youll have to buy all over along with a 20 gallon QT (which you should already have but that another topic lol)

I never understood how wifes complain about space....have you seen their closet? Or bathroom? lol

FlyingRev
05/16/2012, 03:46 PM
I do not want to highjack this thread, but would like to ask a question about quarantine if I may...

The LFS has an extensive reef section as well as a fish section. The separate fish side runs copper in all their tanks. If the fish have been in the tank for over 5 weeks and all this time dosed with copper, if a quarantine time necessary before introducing into a DT?

sponger0
05/16/2012, 04:11 PM
Yes a quarantine tank is still necessary. Most fish stores use a theraputic amount of copper and not a full dose to treat parasites. So QT is still recommended.

If you are trying to get around a QT, then you can but dont be surprised when you have disease in your tank.