PDA

View Full Version : How small an Odontodactylus scyllarus have you seen?

Gonodactylus
05/17/2012, 08:30 AM
I'm doing some research on the development of behavior in juvenile O. scyllarus and would be interested in hearing what is the smallest peacock you have seen.

The smallest I have is a female (gonopores undeveloped) 35 mm total length. Image attached.

Roy

Nightwitch
05/17/2012, 11:49 AM
It's been a while, but when Stomatopods.com was still in operation, they had an LFS here in North Carolina that I visited regularly. They had lots of juvenile peacocks there, in the range of about 1 - 1.5 inches. It's been several years though, so obviously I don't have measurement data, but if you can still contact the people who used to run it, they may be able to tell you where they got them. One of them is currently working at "The Fish Room" in Raleigh, I believe.

As a side note, the juveniles were awesome to watch. Their behavior seemed to me to be markedly different from the adults. The juveniles appeared more interactive and curious than the adults were. Also, the giant eye-body proportion was very appealing to human sensibilities.

Dana42078
05/17/2012, 01:17 PM
So cute! :) I'd say the smallest ive seen was about 3 inches. Not small at all.

Kharn
05/17/2012, 03:28 PM
4inchs for me =) and that is the one I just got xD lol

MantisO_o
05/18/2012, 10:37 AM
Wow! Smallest i have seen was about twice as the little bugger you have there. 50mm.

Is there a reason why you don't see Peacocks that small? Its always nearly between 3 to 6+ inches.

Gonodactylus
05/18/2012, 11:42 AM
There burrows are really cryptic and hard to locate. They are also very quick and hard to catch.

Roy

MantisO_o
05/18/2012, 11:54 AM
wow, interesting!