PDA

View Full Version : Kent Marine Pro Scrapper II

Duc1098
05/17/2012, 12:38 PM
I have used the Kent Marine pro scrapper on my acrylic tank since I had it set up and have generally been very happy with it. Unfortunately good things never last and had found that the recent replacement blades I have been buying were not very good at all. It seemed that they were not nearly as effective and I had a greater chance of scratching the acyrlic when I used them. I then compared the newer replacement blades to an old one I had laying around and founf some significant differences. First, cosmetically it had minor design changes suchs as the angle of the tip and also did not have "KENT" stamped on it. Second, the blade appeared to be made of a entirely different material. I e-mailed Kent Marine customer service to confirm my suspicions and found out they did infact change manufactures and do to patents held by the original manufacture, had to make changes to the replacement blade with the new manufacture. Supposedly they are supposed to change it again but I don't know when. Does anybody know of another scrapper out there that works well? I would hate to have to start using a metal blade.

ZR1001
05/17/2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I have been using the old version for years.

Rploaded
05/17/2012, 01:33 PM
Might I suggest you look at "Mighty Magnets". They have a million and one attachments and they work wonderfully on scraping the tough stuff and just daily grime.

I use one on my acrylic tank and LOVE IT.

Hope that helps.

dzfish17
05/17/2012, 04:45 PM
I use a long kent scraper and about every 6 months I lightly sand the edge of the blade flat again. Ive been using the same blade for 3 yrs now.

Duc1098
05/22/2012, 06:33 PM
I have had mixed results with sanding the blade and it never comes out like new. I have however attempted a new method all together. In my research to find a new product that would adequately clean my tank to my liking I found quite a few posts on here talking about the use of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and 3M Dobie pads. So, I went to my local target and picked up both and tried them out immediatly. All I can say is WOW!!! I started off with the 3M Dobie pad with my AlgaeFree Tiger Shark magnet and that thing took off the hardened brown algae in a couple of swipes. There was absolutely no scratching of the acrylic and I would think with prolonged use would actually remove some of the scratches currently there do to it's very mild abrasive texture. It beats using the scraper by a long shot and is much quicker, easier and cleaner. It still is somewhat tricky to get down along the sand bed but it does not pick up debris as easily as a normal pad would. I haven't even tried to use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser yet and with the results I got with this Dobie pad I'm not sure it I will need to. Work at it long enough and this will even remove lite coralline algae off the acrylic. I also went with a microfiber cloth on the outside of the tank under the magnet while using the dobie pad.:thumbsup:

reefraction
08/09/2012, 03:41 PM
Check out "The Flipper" it's a scraper on one side and a algae pad on the other. You can flip from side to side without getting your hands wet. I have a glass aquarium and it is the perfect tool to get in the corners and that tough to reach area right along the sand line. Best tool I've ever used. Comes with an acrylic attachment as well. They have a video demo on their website. Just google Flipper algae scraper

Duc1098
10/23/2012, 11:25 PM
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. As I posted recently, the Kent Marine Proscrapper II that I had used for a long time on my acrylic tank had changed the material of the replacement blades and I found them to be less then adequate. As such, I looked for a long time to find a scrapper the was acrylic safe and tried numerous types of scrappers and eventually started to use a stainless blade made for glass aquariums only.

Now it appears a new scrapper is being made by Continuum Aquatics called the Aquablade P. I ordered it off of Marinedepot.com last week and just received it today. Preliminary results are promising as I used it to clean a small section in my refugium. It appears to be made like the old Kent Marine scrappers which would make sense seeing as they told me that another manufacture had the patents to their old style blades.

It is also interesting to note that these blades by Continuum will also fit in the Kent Marine Proscrapper II handles. However, the idea of the white body does make it easier to see the algae spots, especially if you are looking down from the top of the tank like I do since it is built into the wall. Just thought I would let everyone know.

Thanks