PDA

View Full Version : Inhibit Marine Growth With Electrical Charge?

Runner
05/17/2012, 01:34 PM
I remember reading somewhere about where small amounts of electrical charge could encourage marine growth on metal structures. Do any of you guys know of applications where electrical current has been used to inhibit marine growth? I was wondering if something similar to a cathodic protection system would work...

Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/17/2012, 05:26 PM
The positive electrical effect in open systems seems to be coming from locally boosting alkalinity and pH. If you drove the current in such a way as to product chlorine gas/hypochlorite, I expect you limit nearby growth. :)

from this link:

http://www.ecanode.com/Application.aspx

Electro chlorination System in Power Stations: Sodium hypochlorite is introduced into the seawater intake to the power station where it prevents fouling of the mechanical equipment, such as the seawater circulating pumps, bar screens and drum screens. By controlling the fouling of the steam condensers [in the thermal power stations powered by either nuclear energy or fossil fuel located along the seacoast], will significantly increase the efficiency of power generation.

Electro chlorination System in Desalination Plants: Prevention of fouling in the equipments due to the growth of marine organisms - will increase its efficiency, when seawater is evaporated to produce potable water through multiple flash distillations or the salt is removed from the seawater by means of reverse osmosis.

Electro chlorination System Coastal installations: Electro chlorination System prevents the marine growth [either micro type or macro type fouling] that takes place when seawater is used as cooling water in Chemical plants, refineries, LNG production facilities, steel mills, Sewage treatment plants and other coastal industries that use seawater as a coolant.