PDA

View Full Version : 29 Biocube lighting

Sethjamto
05/17/2012, 04:35 PM
I tried finding my other thread about this tank, but tapatalk isn't letting me search for some reason.....

I'm looking to pick up a used 29 Biocube this weekend hopefully from craigslist. The pics show the stock hood and lighting gear. Being the total newbie to this, I've read that to maintain temps and not get too hot (I keep the a/c between 71 and 74 in the house), that you should not have the tanks covered. Wouldn't that get rid of the lighting too on this style tank? What are my lighting options? I want to eventually have a couple clowns, corals, etc along with the CUC. Not looking to drop a ton of money...I'll save that for the upgrade I KNOW that will happen someday....or can I use the stock hood and lights? Don't I need a T5 for corals?

I should probably just go get a good starter book from the store. Any recommendations on a good book?

Tschupe
05/17/2012, 04:58 PM
The stock lighting is fine for easier corals. Just make sure you replace the bulbs regularly.

IridescentLily
05/17/2012, 05:04 PM
I've got a 29g Oceanic biocube hqi. But they have hoodless lighting. Does yours have power compact bulbs or hqi halides? The
light should be goid for some soft corals or maybe some lps corals.
You can setup some other type of lighting to hang over your tank if you want to keep your hood off for less heat. There are some folks who use a 'stunner led strip' for about 75.00 dollars. Or you can fashion a hqi light hanger with some metal tubing. There are other various ways but those are two ideas for you.

Sethjamto
05/30/2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry for the late reply......you mention the stunner LEDs. I looked these ones up. Would they be a good addition to my current lighting? I know they will look good, but will they HELP the tank (ie: corals) over stock lighting? The main reason I like these over upgrading to a seperate T5 fixture is that I can retain the stock hood. I much prefer that look over a hanging light above the tank because I can integrate these into my current hood.

Bottom line, are they benfitial to the corals, or just pleasing to your eye? I would look at a couple of the 12" ones. Also, which colors/powers would be recommended??

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21598

OrQidz
05/30/2012, 07:22 PM
I'm interested in this question as well. I just set up a BC 29 with the stock lights. So far the tank is running about 78.8 with the lights on. I added a heater because it was about 75 with just the lights. Keep in mind in Oregon and my room temp is about 70 degrees. We'll see how things go if it gets hot! My AC keeps the room about 78 so I may need to do some additional cooling. I will check out those LEDS, interested in what others think about them.

Hyskulhero
05/30/2012, 09:04 PM
I have the Biocube HQI and I'm struggling to keep temps below 82. Recently someone posted a Youtube vid in which he gutted the HQI light fixture and put an AI Sol Nano inside. I was kicking around that idea, I'm just not sure the AI Nano would have enough light spread.

Sethjamto
05/31/2012, 05:15 AM
Thanks, but I don't have the HQI. Athough I sure the end result would be similar!

Guygettnby
05/31/2012, 05:16 AM
in the past i always ended up replacing the stock hood of my biocube or aquapod with a 70w or 150w sunpod. that leaves you room to have HOB filtration, like a skimmer and a fuge. having those 2 things on a nano tank help alot IMHO

with either of those lights you would be fine keeping pretty much any coral you want. corals and the temps shouldnt be too bad. mine never went above 80 in the dead of summer with the ac in my house set to about 72-74.

sponger0
05/31/2012, 07:47 AM
When I had my Biocube 29, I was able to keep the temps at 81 and that was with the stock hood and lighting.

I later then got a 24" T5 4 bulb fixture. I loved it. I would recommend looking into it as you will get so much better color and not have to worry about heat issues from an HQI.

Also it makes adding equipment to the sump so much easier. I used a Aquatic life skimmer, fuge and TLF media reactor on it.

And I like the open top look....just be wary of the fish you buy, you may want to make some sort of screen if you go that route.

Also with better lights, it opens the possiblilty to small anemones, or doing some SPS. Some will say the light is fine for those, but you wont have the good color with other lighting options

klwheat
05/31/2012, 08:46 AM
Don't know what you're looking to spend here, but I prefer the top off on my jbj 28gallon. I just hung my LEDs (radion) from the ceiling 9" above the water. An AI or whatever would do plenty for that 29g as well I'm sure. I have absolutely NO heat issues now :)

rovster
05/31/2012, 10:23 AM
The greatest thing about these AIO tanks is they look put together. If you remove the hood, start adding stuff hanging off the side and back, you kind of defeat the purpose IMHO. I have a BC14 and I've learned that most of these tanks tend to run hot. With the stock lighting, I was running between 81-84 degrees at times. At the time, I countered it by propping the hood, or running a tower fan aimed at it. My wife keeps the ambient temps at a very warm 76-77 degrees, so that does not help. Also keep in mind, I'm running a MJ900 and a Koralia 240 and 425, so they will add heat. I did a Rapid LED retro kit and now my tank runs in the 80-82 range, so it helps a bit. I ended up fabricating a small acrylic thingamajiggie to keep the hood propped about an inch and that gets me down to 79-80ish. I do not run a heater.

Since I am upgrading, I'm not going to spend much more or mod much more, but if I did I would probably add a couple of fans to the back, and possibly a few more vents.

FWIW, you can grow a lot of coral with the stock lights. I had a monticap and a pocillipora, both easy SPS doing well with stock lighting. They grow three times as fast with the LEDs however. You can pretty much have any softie and most any LPS IMHO. Have fun, they are great tanks!

sponger0
05/31/2012, 10:41 AM
I disagree with Rovster. Whats wrong with making the tank run better and easier and look better than it already does??

The stock lighting only brings out so much color. And its actually kind of yellow looking. There is a huge difference between using PC bulbs to any other lighting.

And I had a bunch of equip on mine and was very clean looking.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e209/sponginpunk/Biocube/IMG_0007.jpg

rovster
05/31/2012, 11:13 AM
I disagree with Rovster. Whats wrong with making the tank run better and easier and look better than it already does??

The stock lighting only brings out so much color. And its actually kind of yellow looking. There is a huge difference between using PC bulbs to any other lighting.

And I had a bunch of equip on mine and was very clean looking.

Hey Sponger, you have nice tank there. There's nothing wrong with doing what you did. Since the OP is a newb, my post was geared towards where I assume he is in the hobby at this time. Most of those that do what you did are already more advanced and know what they want and have very specific objectives. You also have those that just buy an AIO and that thing is already stripped to pieces before its even started, that I think is pointless, and there are better options out there. I've seen some very nice topless BCs, NCs, etc, and there's nothing wrong with that. The intention of my post was mostly to reassure the OP that you can do quite a bit with a stock BC or with little modification, that's all. I also like the "put together" look of a stock AIO, which is part of the allure of going that route. That is IMHO of course:thumbsup:

Reeferz412
05/31/2012, 11:42 AM
I would just remove the hood and get a T5 or LED fixture. The hood lights are terrible anyways and down the line you will probably make it a frankenstein hood with a DIY LED kit or slap stunner strips on it to grow more light demanding corals. It does defeat the sleak aesthetically pleasing look of the BC or JBJ tank though. Although I have seen someone gut a BC29, add a sump/fuge and hang an AI over it and it looks quite marvelous. But again, it ruins the "all in one" motto.

sponger0
05/31/2012, 12:14 PM
Hey Sponger, you have nice tank there. There's nothing wrong with doing what you did. Since the OP is a newb, my post was geared towards where I assume he is in the hobby at this time. Most of those that do what you did are already more advanced and know what they want and have very specific objectives. You also have those that just buy an AIO and that thing is already stripped to pieces before its even started, that I think is pointless, and there are better options out there. I've seen some very nice topless BCs, NCs, etc, and there's nothing wrong with that. The intention of my post was mostly to reassure the OP that you can do quite a bit with a stock BC or with little modification, that's all. I also like the "put together" look of a stock AIO, which is part of the allure of going that route. That is IMHO of course:thumbsup:

Thank you. I no longer have the tank but just giving an example it can still look clean.

I agree that it does defeat the purpose of an AIO, but why not make it run better, easier, and look better. I really emphasiize looking better...cause we are all in the hobby cause of the visual aspect of it.

Sethjamto
06/08/2012, 03:19 PM
Hey guys.....sorry for the late response! I really like the looks of that Rapid LED conversion kit for th BC29 hood. How did this do for you? Pros/cons? In reading their install instructions it said the drivers won't fit inside the hood on a BC29.... Where did you mount yours?

Any other retrofit kits out there to keep the stock hood that I can compare this to?

Sethjamto
06/10/2012, 11:58 AM
Bueller? Bueller?

jasin401
06/10/2012, 03:54 PM
here ya go!

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/

Sethjamto
06/10/2012, 04:29 PM
here ya go!

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/

Awesome prices! Wonder if I could fit that into my BC hood? It looks like it!

What optic whould ya'll recommend? They offer 45, 60, and 80 degree.