PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer help needed! Decisions.... Decisions...

waffler
05/17/2012, 09:14 PM
I am currently finishing the plumbing on my 75G Rimless. I have been researching skimmers for months and still I am unable to make a definitive decision. My new tank will be in my bedroom which means that in order for my girl to be happy I need this to be as quiet as possible. That is #1. Secondly, I currently have a Red Sea Max 250 which has probably the worst skimmer anyone could ever have to deal with. This makes it important that I buy a skimmer that does what it is supposed to do so that I don't lose my mind and give up on this hobby entirely. Not only that, the majority of these are $300 - $400 so it would really suck to drop that on a skimmer I end up unhappy with.

So with all that said... I had my skimmer selection narrowed down to the following 4.

JNS SK2
Avast CS1
SROXP1000SSS
Warner Marine MF 181

I thought I had my mind set on the JNS but I need to add that I have inherited a brand new Trigger Systems Sump. After doing some measuring I have realized the JNS SK2 will not fit in this sump which is disappointing to say the least... Unless someone has managed to do this and can prove me wrong (This would really make my day).

So.... I am humbly asking for some help in making this important decision. Has anyone owned more than one of the following three skimmers? I could really use a push in the right direction.... Would love to hear about noise level, water level issues, neck sensitivity issues, pump reliability, really anything that could help narrow this list down so I can make a decision , finish my build and move on to the fun that is coral shopping! :)

1.) Warner Marine MF 181
2.) SROXP1000SSS
3.) Avast CS1

mark54321
05/17/2012, 09:20 PM
Tagging along,I am torn between the JNS and WM MF181.

waffler
05/17/2012, 10:09 PM
Glad I am not the only one! Hopefully we can both walk away from this thread with a decision. I honestly didn't think I would ever have such a difficult time making a choice on a single component.

madean
05/17/2012, 10:26 PM
pm mojo, or look up threads with him talking about skimmers. He has played and reviewed a lot of skimmers and he will not steer you wrong. Also check out sea side aquatics cs1.

mark54321
05/17/2012, 10:29 PM
I just found out friend of mine has WM MF201 and he said it is absolutely quiet. The forming bubbles make more noise then the pump, according to him.

waffler
05/18/2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the input Mark.

hkgar
05/18/2012, 01:42 PM
I would checking on the Reef Dynamics.

Here is an info link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuEebGU9zA

I love mine and you will too.

waffler
05/18/2012, 02:26 PM
I was really hoping for more first hand accounts on each skimmer. So far I really am leaning towards the MF181 since the JNS does not fit my sump. I had already went through Mojo's thread and that was why JNS SK2 was at the top of my list.

Guygettnby
05/18/2012, 03:24 PM
How much room do you have for a skimmer in your sump? If you have the room I would recommend the swc 160 cone. You can't beat the price and to be honest after only having mine for a week it is a killer skimmer for the money. It is also extremely quiet....