PDA

View Full Version : My new Refugium...SUGGESTIONS???

jigsaw1982
05/18/2012, 10:38 AM
Yesterday I got a hang on the back Refugium that's about 24" long. Nice size one, any suggestions about what to put in there(i.e. deep sand bed, shallow sand bed, rocks, biomedia)? Also can anyone post pics of there refugiums if they have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe bio-balls, or super porous ceramic rings like at this link http://www.petdiscounters.com/Super_Porous_Ceramic_Rings_p_16268.html?utm_source=googlebase or should I just go with live sand live rocks and some plants?

allsps40
05/18/2012, 11:15 AM
3-4 inches for sand and mineral mud and chaeto.

SKurj
05/18/2012, 12:24 PM
I am newb.. but I bought a Hob refugium a CPR medium sized unit with light.

I run about 4" of sand in it then some live rock rubble and some chaeto. I do see lots of stuff moving around in it so I know that its growing things. I also have to harvest the macro every couple weeks. Is it doing me some good.. I think so.

Not sure about the sandbed, I might be tempted to forget sandbed and save more room for chaeto, with the sandbed and liverock there isn't alot of flow in there.

skidoctor
05/18/2012, 12:35 PM
No bio balls or ceramic thingies- mud and sand (if you want), lr rubble and cheato. That's all you need. Adding more will be great for a while, but may produce long term issues if not kept clean. I like the idea of set it and forget it. Let the live stuff do the work, you sit back and relax.

jigsaw1982
05/18/2012, 01:00 PM
I also have to harvest the macro every couple weeks. Is it doing me some good.. I think so.

What do you mean harvest the "macro every couple weeks"? And what is "chaeto" and where can you get it?

coralreefdoc
05/18/2012, 08:14 PM
If you need some macroalgae for your refugium check out my thread in the Livestock selling section:

Ulva
Chaetomorpha
Caulerpa prolifera

Duvallj
05/18/2012, 08:30 PM
Harvesting, basically you remove portions of the algae and either pitch it, trade it, sell it, ect.

I prefer Chaeto to Caulerpa myself, but there's many choices out there.

paddyob
05/18/2012, 08:30 PM
Geez whiz.

AVOID bioballs at all costs. That is the old way of doing things and will haunt you down the road. NIGHTMARE. Nitrate factories.

Use the "berlin method" IMO... skimmer and live rock fuge. Chaeto too...

I have a small sandbed in a HOB fuge, but I chose not to have one in my larger system... rock and chaeto only. And its packed with pods, brittle stars, feather dusters. Its great. Great.