PDA

View Full Version : New acro RTN'ed???

sponger0
05/19/2012, 12:55 PM
I got a new acro the other day and Ive never had this happen and I have lots of SPS. It looked nice and purple when I bought it at the store. I dipped it then put it in the tank. And I saw some slime coming off of it...so I just thought the piece was ****ed. Then it started being alot of slime coming off. Hours later still doing it, and I looked closer and noticed it wasnt a deep purple anymore....holy friggin cow it was RTNing as soon as I put it in my tank. Ive never had it happen nor have I heard this happening. Well it stopped and I still have some flesh on the acro.

Water....
Alk 9
Calc 440
Mag 1340
Temp 79-80

What in the world happened?

ek9vboi
05/19/2012, 03:22 PM
Stuff like this randomly happens. Had it happen to me on a pearlberry that was in the tank for about 2 weeks. I would frag off a piece to be on the safe side in case it decides it wants to RTN again.

sponger0
05/19/2012, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately there isnt anything to frag. Its very random how the flesh has disappeared.

sponger0
05/19/2012, 03:45 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e209/sponginpunk/IMAG0290.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e209/sponginpunk/IMAG0291.jpg

05/19/2012, 04:52 PM
What did you dip it in?

sponger0
05/19/2012, 04:53 PM
Revive. Never been an issue with anything else and didnt start to rtn until it went in the tank. Its not the dip

Dog boy Dave
05/20/2012, 02:31 PM
What exactly do you think revive does when you dip your corals in it? It doesnt kill redbugs and it doesnt kill flat worms. Other than protecting against those two pests, what are you trying to accomplish by diping your corals ? If it wasnt your dip, that caused this coral to die, then you are probably having some water quality issues. You might expect the rest of your corals to show some distress in the near future if you do not address them.

sponger0
05/20/2012, 02:36 PM
What exactly do you think revive does when you dip your corals in it? It doesnt kill redbugs and it doesnt kill flat worms. Other than protecting against those two pests, what are you trying to accomplish by diping your corals ? If it wasnt your dip, that caused this coral to die, then you are probably having some water quality issues. You might expect the rest of your corals to show some distress in the near future if you do not address them.

And if its the dip, why would it be a problem now after the tons and tons of coral I have bought? I am well aware of what a dip does. Please dont insult me. Thats unnescessary.

And on top of that read my water parameters? Do you see a problem there? No. If that a problem, I wouldnt be here asking for help. Most people dont post their water parms right off the back.

Dog boy Dave
05/20/2012, 06:07 PM
And if its the dip, why would it be a problem now after the tons and tons of coral I have bought? I am well aware of what a dip does. Please dont insult me. Thats unnescessary.

And on top of that read my water parameters? Do you see a problem there? No. If that a problem, I wouldnt be here asking for help. Most people dont post their water parms right off the back.

Man I dont know what the dip does. I was asking you. I do know it doesnt kill redbugs or flat worms. It is probably what killed your coral though. You odviosly dont want to hear that. But honestly that is a different issue. I really am asking you what do you think the dip does for your new pieces? I dont understand why you guys dip your corals and I thought i would ask. From your response, and your anger, i dont think you know why either.

As far as your water parameters go, i see people with dieing corals list their pristine water "parms" all the time. Instead of believing their corals, which happen to be the best test kit they could possibly have they list their great water "parms" and look for a magic dip. I dont have a magic dip for you and with that attitude little else. You asked for help here m8. I didnt come to you and i dont get squat for trying to help a newb. Sorry you didnt like what you heard and to bad it made you mad. I wont bother you again. Good luck with your corals though, mine are doing fine.

shifty51008
05/20/2012, 06:28 PM
from my understanding revive will kill AEFW not sure where you seen that it don't

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762795&highlight=revive+dip

Daimyo68
05/20/2012, 11:16 PM
RTN happens, even with all the correct steps to prevent it. I had an acro RTN on me a few months ago out of nowhere. Nothing else was effected. Water was fine and i wasn't doing anything out of the normal routine of feeding and changing filter socks.

I dip every acro that goes into QT in Revive. After dealing with AEF's, and finding Revive to kill the adults, and end the life cycle after a few weeks of weekly dipping.

To answer "I dont understand why you guys dip your corals and I thought i would ask" I will never again not dip an acro in Revive. Every thing that will make it to my DT goes into QT for 3 months. If there is an issue, such as bug, AEF's, etc, the problem will be stuck in QT and not found in my DT when corals start to decline. Better to catch it in QT than to watch all of your corals be effected.

I lost 9 out of 19 Acro's to AEF's when I had the issue.

tmc1313
05/21/2012, 07:42 AM
Was it a smooth skinned acro? I have heard and read that many smooth skinned acros don't take well to being dipped. I have a Hawkins Echinata, and took a chance on it without dipping (turned out well), but I hate gambling and putting any new corals into my display without being dipped. I'm building a quarantine setup now for any new corals in the future.

MammothReefer
05/21/2012, 11:52 AM
Revive kills AEFW and Red bugs. Try dipping AEFW in revive.. they don't fall off and wither rather quickly. However some corals are more sensitive to revive then others. I've lost a few pieces dipping it in revive you have to be really careful not to overdose, and learn which pieces can take it and which can't.