PDA

View Full Version : MH problem, need help asap

Danzig
05/19/2012, 02:04 PM
I bought a MH setup earlier this week and just received it in the mail. I got a luxcore 250 watt select-a-watt ballast and a 175 watt 14k ushio SE bulb. I also got a SE lumenbright pendant reflector. I wired it all up and now the bulb flickers for 30 seconds and shuts off.. Im not sure whats going on. I have it on the 175 watt setting because i have a 175 watt bulb. Is this bulb not compatible or something? Im pretty damn sure i wired it right, its not rocket science.

sirreal63
05/19/2012, 02:29 PM
Doublr check everything, especially the socket and wiring.

Danzig
05/19/2012, 03:29 PM
Doublr check everything, especially the socket and wiring.

Ok ill check it out, anyone else have any other thoughts?

Danzig
05/19/2012, 06:15 PM
i switched the bulbs and put in a reeflux 20k bulb and its working fine... im confused.. its just the USHIO bulb thats flickering and shutting off... anyone have any ideas whats going on?

allsps40
05/19/2012, 08:47 PM
That bulb might not work with the ballast you have or you have a bad bulb.

moondoggy4
05/20/2012, 12:15 AM
I may be way off but if I remember correctly that the Ushio bulb should be used on a electronic ballast.

Danzig
05/20/2012, 04:15 AM
I may be way off but if I remember correctly that the Ushio bulb should be used on a electronic ballast.

This is an electronic ballast.. or maybe an e-ballast same thing though as far as i know

sirreal63
05/20/2012, 08:23 AM
Ushio does not list an electronic ballast recommendation in their spec sheet, but does state that this is a pulse start bulb.

http://www.ushio.com/files/specs/Aqualite.pdf

"Ballasts and Power Supplies: USHIO always recommends ballasts that are UL recognized for safety and adhere to ANSI standards. It
is extremely critical to match the proper ANSI coded lamp to the ANSI coded ballast. Failure to do so will cause improper lamp ignition, poor
color and spectral performance, and short life. Check that the operating current of the ballast and ignition voltage matches the lamp. This
information should be readily available from any reputable ballast manufacturer. Some ballasts intentionally overdrive the current to the lamp
in order to push up luminous flux values on initial tests. The drawback to this intentional “overdriving” is a faster lumen depreciation and
color shift.
For example: USHIO’s 175W Aqualite™ is a pulse start lamp. Pulse start type lamps may ignite and work just fine on a probe start ballast for a
few months; however, as the lamp ages, the electrodes erode and higher voltage is needed to start the lamp. The open circuit voltage provided
by probe start ballasts is not sufficient to ignite a pulse start lamp. Pulse start lamps like our 175W Aqualite™ always require an ignitor to keep
the lamp starting throughout its life cycle."

I suspect there is something wrong with the bulb or the LuxCore has issues supplying the correct startup voltage.

alton
05/21/2012, 06:04 AM
Luxcore is claiming to have a 99% efficient ballast which is unheard of in the industry, which matches flourescent ballast. It could be if you do not have the perfect match with the ballast being so efficient, the lamp won't start? See if you can find someone in your area that has another 175w E ballast and try your lamp before sending it back?