PDA

View Full Version : Need help with re-sealing my 37g

120reefermadnes
05/19/2012, 06:16 PM
I recently noticed a small amount of water in the bottom corner between the tank and stand, not bad at all not even dripping down just there. So now I gues im going to have 2 re silicon it but need some pointers and wat I need and were 2 get it first time so all the little pointers help thanks!

120reefermadnes
05/19/2012, 06:40 PM
Whats the best process for the best out come?

2tall 46385
05/19/2012, 06:44 PM
When I resealed my 125 I never took it all apart. I used one of those retractable knifes that you can snap the blades off and cut the old silicone out of the corners. Then I used a razor blade scraper and got all the leftovers off the glass without actually cutting the glass apart. Next I cleaned it real good with denatured alcohol and masked off the edges so I would end up with straight lines. I used ge silicone 1 to seal it. I don't know if that's the perfect way to do it but its been up and going for 4 years now without a problem.

markaren
05/19/2012, 07:49 PM
When I resealed my 125 I never took it all apart. I used one of those retractable knifes that you can snap the blades off and cut the old silicone out of the corners. Then I used a razor blade scraper and got all the leftovers off the glass without actually cutting the glass apart. Next I cleaned it real good with denatured alcohol and masked off the edges so I would end up with straight lines. I used ge silicone 1 to seal it. I don't know if that's the perfect way to do it but its been up and going for 4 years now without a problem.

This is the method I used. No need to pull glass apart. My best approach was taking the razor at a 45 degree angle through the center of the old silicone and chase the cut from corner to corner. The lay the blade flat and scrape to a corner to take out one half then repeat for the remaining.

One tip: I was always aware that the bottom glass is the base...so do not chase the blade between the two pieces of glass, keep the blade in the tank and not in between the glass mating point.

NanoReefWanabe
05/19/2012, 08:46 PM
IMHO if water is leaking out of the tank then the panels should be taken apart and completely redone...

if resealing for cosmetic reasons then a simple scrape and clean should be fine...

you have to remember the seal "or inner bead" of silicone does very little to nothing for the tank's integrity, it sole purpose is to protect the silicone between the panes of glass...

ALL silicone breaks down when immersed in water, it does take some time but it does happen...if the structural seal of the tank is compromised and leaking it will be prone and subject to leaking and failure...

to each their own, i suppose. the responsible advise is rebuild the tank though.

markaren
05/20/2012, 06:07 AM
IMHO if water is leaking out of the tank then the panels should be taken apart and completely redone...

if resealing for cosmetic reasons then a simple scrape and clean should be fine...

you have to remember the seal "or inner bead" of silicone does very little to nothing for the tank's integrity, it sole purpose is to protect the silicone between the panes of glass...

ALL silicone breaks down when immersed in water, it does take some time but it does happen...if the structural seal of the tank is compromised and leaking it will be prone and subject to leaking and failure...

to each their own, i suppose. the responsible advise is rebuild the tank though.

The above is correct...if there is a leak the bonding joints are failing. I do not know how to remove a tray but that would be the first step to access the bottom. The piano wire or guitar wire down the seam will separate the panes of glass.