PDA

View Full Version : Fish that fill the space up top?

Lyvric
05/20/2012, 12:36 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for all your help lately! I've gotten rid of a lost of pests ahead of time with your help.

I have a 40 gallon tank with a work-in-progress reef. I've noticed the majority of my fish are low swimmers except one pyjama cardinal. What are other fish that are not aggressive I can get that swim in the upper space?

cloak
05/20/2012, 12:51 PM
Do you have any chromis? (green)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/hcs3/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/5/fish

Lyvric
05/20/2012, 12:56 PM
Those are pretty cool :) I was told you need a few though because they like schooling. I have 2 firefish, a dwarven hawkfish, my pyjama cardinal, and a teeny tiny candy cane goby no bigger than my pinkie nail. Will I run the risk of over stocking?

cloak
05/20/2012, 01:14 PM
I think you will be ok adding a few of these. It's definitely worth a shot. Some people might say that they'll start to pick on each other until there is only one left, but that's not always the case. GL.

Lyvric
05/20/2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks!

FishAddict87
05/20/2012, 02:45 PM
How about a dwarf angel? Could be a hit or miss with corals. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in

Lyvric
05/20/2012, 03:41 PM
I hear they can be very mean to other fish. Any particular species that are nice?

Mussin
05/20/2012, 04:07 PM
I have a coral beauty, swims all over and ive never seen him pick @ my corals.

a.browning
05/20/2012, 04:22 PM
I have a flame angel and he does fine with corals, but is very aggressive. He killed my blue sided wrasse.

cloak
05/20/2012, 04:26 PM
Like mentioned above, it's hit & miss with both corals & fish. If you do decide on choosing one though, you might want to check out the Cherub angel. It stays relatively small and seems to have a better track when it comes down to "playing nice".

Check these out.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/jf/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/hcs3/index.php

Reeferz412
05/21/2012, 10:43 AM
I have a yellow wrasse, that fish is everywhere in my tank. From far away it looks like a flying banana

SKurj
05/21/2012, 11:14 AM
clowns are an option

Lyvric
05/21/2012, 11:23 AM
Hehe...flying banana. I was looking at wrasse for keeping pests away. I finally got a quarentine tank started now that I know more.

Pj cardinals are suppose to be friendly schoolers right? Mine killed the second and got really depressed. It was too slow to get the other fish and now happily eats and doesn't give a second thought about others. Are they normally so indecisive? Are wrasses and cromes decent swimmers to avoid my buddies wishy washy attitude?

cincyjim
05/21/2012, 11:35 AM
I have a flame angel and he does fine with corals, but is very aggressive. He killed my blue sided wrasse.

I have a coral beauty. She's great with the corals, never bothers them but she's overly agressive with fish of smaller size. She's killed several clowns that I had purchased before I figured out it was her doing the killing. She is a beautiful fish but too agressive for my tank.

Microcosmos
05/21/2012, 12:09 PM
Kaudern's cardinals are pretty but idk if one will get along with your other cardinal you already have... Kaudern's look like freshwater angelfish kinda... http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-77880-kaudern-cardinal.jpg
Oh yeah and you can find them tank bred a lot.

Reeferz412
05/21/2012, 12:26 PM
Wrasses are built to swim. They are shaped like a torpedo and can swim against any current. My wrasse can dodge my maroon clowns strikes and nips with no problem. A very friendly fish imo and such a colorful add to my reef tank. Without a doubt, I approve of a yellow wrasse as a fantastic add. Plus, they are funny to watch. The only fish I know that you can physically see its eyes move and observe what they are looking at. Such intelligent and curious fish. Cardinals are relatively boring fish. They remain in one position but are a nice add anywho. They can accent a tank with their bright colors but dont add motion to the tank.

aleonn
05/21/2012, 01:18 PM
I like the yellow coris wrasse too, as mine is very active and excels at pest control. You can also consider a melanarus as well. Both may eat small snails and possibly ornamental shrimp, though. I like a lot of the fairy and flasher wrasses too, but double check on their recommended tank sizes. They definitely add color and life to the tank.

Lateralus
05/21/2012, 03:38 PM
Mystery or sixline wrasse take your pick! Thumbs up to the cherub aswell.

aleonn
05/21/2012, 06:29 PM
Whey I had a mystery wrasse, it tended to swim in the bottom third of the tank. Plus he was aggressive to all wrasses that I subsequently added to the tank. By many accounts on here, a 6-line would act worse.

Lyvric
05/21/2012, 09:15 PM
Here, I hope this helps. Its a couple of shots showing some of the fellows I have in my tank as well as space. I apologize for the iphone quality ahead of time.

Lots of low fellows and the top lacks color.

Lyvric
05/21/2012, 10:58 PM
What do you think for color? Would blue/greens stand out or make a good balance of contrast? Should I go with cardinals/wrasse and match the other fishes? I think the angel will be too much of a hit or miss.

Cloudburst2000
05/22/2012, 01:19 AM
I think they may be swimming lower because that is where all your rockwork is. I have had firefish that swam near the top of my tank but the rockwork stretched to the upper part of the tank too. You might think about adding just a bit more rock vertically...not a huge amount as I am a fan of minimalist tanks. I think your fish will then swim higher. Most reef fish like swimming among the rockwork, not above it. I think that may be part of your problem. You have very low rocks with alot of open space at the top. The fish probably feel a bit insecure swimming in the upper part of the tank (all their hiding spots in the event of danger are way down below).

devildog999
05/22/2012, 01:19 AM
I have a flame angel and it has not bothered any fish or corals. Just swims all over the tank and though the rockwork. Really great fish

aleonn
05/22/2012, 12:30 PM
How about a Midas Blenny (yellow), and/or Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis) (blue)?

Lateralus
05/22/2012, 03:42 PM
Whey I had a mystery wrasse, it tended to swim in the bottom third of the tank. Plus he was aggressive to all wrasses that I subsequently added to the tank. By many accounts on here, a 6-line would act worse.

Idk I wouldnt mix wrasses. My mystery pretty much did his own thing and the last 6line I owned pal'd around with my coral beauty and never hurt anyone.

SKurj
05/22/2012, 04:43 PM
Definitely more substantial rock work may help.

Tmoriarty
05/22/2012, 06:09 PM
I agree with the rock comment, adding rock "tower" would keep a minimalist work while giving the fish places to hide in the upper water column. Think about a reef in the ocean, most of the smaller fish do not venture up off the reef in fear of being eaten. Finding Nemo :).

All of the fish in my tank cruise around from top to bottom. More of the open water swimmers are out of your league because of size. Good luck.

SushiGirl
05/22/2012, 06:22 PM
+1 to the rockwork comment.

trinidiver
05/22/2012, 06:34 PM
+2......................

SKurj
05/22/2012, 06:36 PM
More live rock will also add to your filtration

Lyvric
05/22/2012, 10:02 PM
I think they may be swimming lower because that is where all your rockwork is. I have had firefish that swam near the top of my tank but the rockwork stretched to the upper part of the tank too. You might think about adding just a bit more rock vertically...not a huge amount as I am a fan of minimalist tanks. I think your fish will then swim higher. Most reef fish like swimming among the rockwork, not above it. I think that may be part of your problem. You have very low rocks with alot of open space at the top. The fish probably feel a bit insecure swimming in the upper part of the tank (all their hiding spots in the event of danger are way down below).

That's a very good point. Even if it was just a couple of larger stones going up, it may help. I think I'll try that first and see if it helps. I still have interest in a new buddy, but I might want to make mine feel more at home first

Lyvric
05/22/2012, 10:08 PM
Some tanks look beautifully exquisite filled up with so much color, but for some reason I like that extra space. :rolleyes:

TucanSam007
05/22/2012, 10:22 PM
If you can get them to eat the copperbanded butterfly is my favorite fish to watch he swims all over, especially if you have rock work at the top

gweston
05/23/2012, 09:18 AM
Dwarf angels are interesting fish, but know that they are hit or miss. My Coral Beauty is a big bully. He beats on the other fish in a 29g and decided he likes the taste of frogspawn. He leaves all the other corals alone though. He is destined for a fowlr 40b while the rest of the fish are going to a 125g in a few weeks. I am eager to do it sooner due to the bullying, but I've got to ride the cycle out.

Lyvric
05/23/2012, 08:33 PM
Really? The frogspawn? I thought that was a more aggressive coral

Lyvric
05/26/2012, 10:16 AM
I've got 8lbs more rock and built 'towers' on either side. The shrimp and crabs are going nuts, let's hope the fish join in ^^

How are angels with hardier corals like birds best and montys?

Cloudburst2000
05/26/2012, 05:15 PM
How are angels with hardier corals like birds best and montys?

Hit or miss, IMO.