PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Marin Bio-Actif system Salt

reefnewbie83177
05/21/2012, 07:44 AM
Anyone ever used the Tropic Marin Bio-Actif System Salt? I have been using IO since the beginning of my tank (~6months). I am now getting into SPS, and also noticed that my Mag with the IO is extremely high. Tested Mg with Red Sea Pro kit and both tank and water mix was ~1600 (not sure if I actually believe it).

Just wanting to switch to a new salt, and was debating b/w the tropic marin and Reef Crystals.

Thanks

Mikez1207
05/21/2012, 08:41 AM
Yea I would test with another test to double check...and if you dont mind me asking...why the switch...IO is fine just get you a 2 part dosing package

reefnewbie83177
05/21/2012, 08:59 AM
I 2-part dose with BRS (Randy's mix) for ca/alk. The more I am reading the more it seems like that is really all I need. I was told by the lfs that I should switch to reef crystals, but that might just be BS. One problem that I am having is that my Ca seems to stay high (470) with adding only 15-20 mL's of Ca, but I have to add 35-40mL of Alk to keep it above 8.0. It seems to me that the reason that this is happening is b/c I have high Mg and it is using up some of the alk to make MgCO3. I may be off base here, but seems to make sense. Any opinions? Is this a bad thing? My sps all seem to be loving life, and nothing seems to be wrong. Just want to make sure I correct things before they go wrong.

Mikez1207
05/21/2012, 11:23 AM
Alk is been used by your sps...now u said you mag is high...whats high? And what other stuff are you dosing right now

reefnewbie83177
05/21/2012, 11:29 AM
Alk is been used by your sps...now u said you mag is high...whats high? And what other stuff are you dosing right now

Thanks Mike for your help. Here are my Param's:

pH = 7.9 - 8.3
Alk = 7.7 - 8.3
Ca = 450 - 470
Mg = 1600 (can this be?)
Nitrate = undetectable
Phosphate = undetectable
T = 78.6
SG = 1.025

Everything is looking just fine. I do not have any precipitate occurring on my equipment. All I dose is 20mL of Ca/day and 35mL Alk/day. Feed one cube of mysis/krill/brine per day. One strip of nori/day. every once in a while i give the corals some phytopheast or oyster feast.

I have never dosed any Mg. When I tested my Saltwater mixing station it also shows that my Mg is very high. This is done with a red sea test kit. I use salifert for alk and Ca. I am going to be ordering a sal Mg kit soon.

I know that I should be adding Ca and Alk in the same ratio's as corals use both to form CaCO3. B/c I am using more Alk than Ca I can only assume that my Mg is using the other part of the Alk.

Thanks for your help

Mikez1207
05/21/2012, 12:29 PM
Do you dose alk and cal at the sametime...its best if you wait like an hour or so then dose the other

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/21/2012, 02:30 PM
It is not my preferred mix.

There's a long thread here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756032

yvr
06/04/2012, 11:27 AM
I've been using TM Bio Actif for a little over a year and have really noticed improved colouration in my SPS corals, my Hydnophora colony which I have had for 3 years has gone from a dull/pale green to an intense fluorescent green! So I am really happy with what I have seen so far.