PDA

View Full Version : Is yellow corris wrasse really reefsafe and not aggresive.

trinidiver
05/21/2012, 09:23 AM
As the title states, I've also read that they eat shrimp when they get a bit bigger. Anyone has any hands on experiences with this fish?

reeferstace
05/21/2012, 09:38 AM
My yellow coris wrasse never ate anything that I didn't want it too, shrimp included. He ate pellets, flakes, mysis, etc. Also, he never bothered any tankmates. Into the sand about an hour before lights out and out of the sand about an hour after lights on. :)

I will be adding one to my 300g soon. Great fish, IMO.

Donkeykong
05/21/2012, 10:23 AM
I had one for over a year in my 80 reef with no complaints, model citizen that was out and about all day long

trinidiver
05/21/2012, 10:48 AM
good to hear..........................is he good even around other wrasses also?
I have a pair of carpenter wrasses and a yellow banded possum wrasse

MIKE NY
05/21/2012, 11:02 AM
I have my yellow a few years now and is about 4" long. It's wrasse tankmates are a leopard, a melanarus and a sixline....there was alittle fin flaring and chasing at first when I introduced the sixline and leopard which only lasted a few days with no injuries and now they all get along... it never messed with the melanarus which is 5"+...lol

reeferstace
05/21/2012, 11:02 AM
I would not put one with agressive wrasses like six-lines or mysteries. Flasher/fairies would be fine, IMO.

trinidiver
05/21/2012, 11:28 AM
ok, sounds good. Well then i have no problems.

Donkeykong
05/21/2012, 11:41 AM
Ya I would stay away from the 6 line unless it is the only planned wrasse, mine was in with a leopard and only had a bit of posturing the first couple of days but were fine. But as always remember each fish has a unique personality, so always be very observant when adding new fish

trinidiver
05/21/2012, 11:52 AM
I had a 6 line in a previous tank and will never ever but one again

aleonn
05/21/2012, 01:42 PM
My yellow coris wrasse was my first wrasse to the tank, and he never bothers anyone (nor does he get picked on). I believe he does go after my small snails (Ceriths, dwarf ceriths, colonistas), although I never directly saw him attack or eat them. But he hasn't bothered my cleaner shrimp pair or peppermint shrimp, which I added long before I added him.

small alien
05/21/2012, 09:36 PM
Basically a perfect reef tank fish.

SushiGirl
05/21/2012, 09:57 PM
Have had no problems with ours. In with an orbic cardinal and an orange-spotted goby. He's low man on the totem pole, though I did watch him tease the other 2 repeatedly tonight (swim by close & flare fins, no reaction so he gave up). Definitely a jumper, he hits the lights almost every day for no reason.

Ate all of the pyramellid snails (which is why we got him), but he hasn't touched the small strombus snails, the stomatellas, or the ceriths. He might be keeping the red planaria in control, or they may just be keeping their own population in control, not sure on that as I've only seen him go after them after cleaning the glass or blowing them off a rock.

I've never seen any collonistas in this tank, so can't comment there. We have one small peppermint shrimp and one small candy cane pistol & he ignores them both. The only annoying thing is he'll pull the mysis out of the palys and LPS, then spit it out & not eat it LOL.

jonathansruelas
05/21/2012, 10:42 PM
Mine is very mild mannered, perfect for a reef tank, provide some pathways for the yellow corris to swim through . Mine seems to love going through them and isn't aggressive . Loves nls pellets and mysis shrimp . Never seen him bother my snails or shrimps

Addiction2SPS
05/21/2012, 10:44 PM
Love mine! Doesn't bother any other fish or snails. Don't have any shrimp or crabs so can't comment on that.

gradth
05/22/2012, 12:27 AM
I added a very small one about 8 months ago or so. It is now huge, probably over 4 inches and fat. Perfect tank mate. He actually follows my diamond gobies around and sifts through what they spit out. Funny to watch. That and I think the bright yellow is a great addition to my tank. I had a xmas wrasse that terrorized anything smaller. Pretty fish, bad temper. Could not be happier with the coris.

trinidiver
05/22/2012, 04:32 AM
Thanks for all the responses....................

johnike
05/22/2012, 05:31 AM
My halichoeres leucoxanthus bothers nothing.
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p361/john_eichwedel/018-1.jpg

Hangs out with the Midas Blenny all the time.

trinidiver
05/22/2012, 06:19 AM
I always wanted a midas blenny for my tank but i was affraid with him and my purple firefish and royal gramma.

aleonn
05/22/2012, 12:21 PM
I always wanted a midas blenny for my tank but i was affraid with him and my purple firefish and royal gramma.

My midas blenny is a very friendly fish and never bothers anyone. She swims in the upper third of the water column when she's not resting in her barnacle. Definitely reef and invert safe IME, and should not intimidate or bother your royal gramma or firefish.

SKurj
05/22/2012, 04:17 PM
If its anything like my Hoeven's wrasse it may eat small featherdusters and the like. I have a piece of LR in my QT and it used to have featherdusters on it before I put the Hoeven's in.

SushiGirl
05/22/2012, 05:46 PM
Ours surprisingly hasn't touched any of the small featherdusters. I figured those would be the first to go, but nope! And yes, they love to wind through the rocks and hover over the sifters catching anything that floats up.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6622883741_f6710d6eb0_b.jpg

KRAZE
05/23/2012, 07:31 AM
not to thread jack, but while we are on the yellow corris wrasse subject, whats the minimum tank size you guys would recommend?
Looking to add a 3rd fish to my 30gal with current tank mates of a mocha clown and domino damsel (who can leave if he causes a problem lol) I would try for a small one, and then as i upgrade, so does he...

inigomontoya
05/23/2012, 08:44 AM
How are the yellows with featherdusters? I would have to be very certain as I have xmas tree worms, regular featherdusters and a sea apple and cucumber. Don't want him picking on any of those.

38bill
05/23/2012, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=SushiGirl;20281802]Ours surprisingly hasn't touched any of the small featherdusters. I figured those would be the first to go, but nope! And yes, they love to wind through the rocks and hover over the sifters catching anything that floats up.

Like SushiGirl's mine doesn't even look at the many small featherdusters in my tank. I wish he did because the dusters were getting out of control so I have to manually remove them.

SushiGirl
05/23/2012, 11:02 AM
Kraze, I do't know what size tank they're rated for, but they never stop moving.

Not sure I'd trust one w/xmas tree worms, mine likes to swim by the leathers & nip polyps to make them retract, apparently just for fun.

sTefaniA
05/23/2012, 05:59 PM
I had two adult males. After a year one of them decided he didn't like the other one anymore, so he killed him. He disapeared into the rocks and I never saw it again.

I know google says 30g minimum but they grow up to 5 inch and they really need a bigger tank when they are adults. And they grow fast.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/sTefaniA_011/reeftank/IMG_9350.jpg

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/sTefaniA_011/doorkijkbak/geel.jpg

This is mine and he went from 2 to 5 inch in little over a year. But he never bothered any fish, coral or invert.

small alien
05/25/2012, 11:05 AM
How are the yellows with featherdusters? I would have to be very certain as I have xmas tree worms, regular featherdusters and a sea apple and cucumber. Don't want him picking on any of those.

How long have you had the apple and cucumber?

flfireman1
05/25/2012, 12:02 PM
I have a yellow coris in my 120 gallon aquarium and it is the least problematic and best mannered of all the wrasses in my display. It is currently housed with a dusky wrasse, 2 leopard wrasses and a male melanurus wrasse. Doesnt bother any of the tiny feather dusters in the aquarium or other tank mates.